Kuih Bangkit Mentega

I’ve decided to call this Kuih Bangkit Mentega (or Butter Tapioca Crumbles) to differentiate it from the traditional Kuih Bangkit which does not use butter in its ingredients. I have tried making traditional Kuih Bangkit a couple of times before, but all in vain! They all came out hard as rock……So last year, after reading a blog by dahnylin of 我在印度尼西亞。。。 (I’m in Indonesia…) fame, I’ve decided to give it another go. This recipe differs from the traditional by using margarine in the ingredients. I’ve adapted it to use butter instead. They came out puffy, crispy and melt-in-the-mouth all at once, all the essential qualities of a good Kuih Bangkit!
Another thing I tried was to microwave the tapioca flour instead of dry-frying to rid it of any excess moisture. I have tried dry-frying the last couple of times, and I can tell you that’s a very tedious job indeed having to stir the flour continuously throughout. I thought why not just do it in the microwave to dry it out? Quick and simple! Mind you, I haven’t seen or heard it being done in the microwave before and I had vision of the flour exploding in my microwave, ha ha… So anyway, the first time I tried, I put the flour directly on the microwave-safe container and after microwaving, a thin layer of flour stuck to the bottom of the container as the moisture actually condensed to the bottom and stuck the layer of flour to the container like glue! So I tried with a piece of paper towel next, and this time it worked, the paper towel absorbed the moisture. As this was an experiment on my part, I only microwaved it for 1 minute as the flour seemed hot and dry enough, so I left it at that. If the flour seems to be not dried enough, you can tell by how ‘wet’ the paper towel is, I think I would sift the flour out first to another container (to air it out a bit), then put the flour on a fresh, dry paper towel and microwave for another 30 seconds or so… Well, that’s what I would do anyway…
Adapted from the recipe ‘KUE BANGKIT -榜吉糕’ at ‘我在印度尼西亞。。。’, Indonesia.
Makes at least 50 small biscuits using traditional Kuih Bangkit moulds.
[Ingredients]
200g tapioca flour
50g reduced-salt butter, softened
100g icing sugar, sifted
50ml (approx.) coconut cream, adjust as necessary
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Line the inside of a microwave-safe container with paper towel (kitchen paper), spread tapioca flour evenly on top of the paper, microwave on HIGH (650W microwave) for 1 minute. Remove, sift into a mixing bowl and cool, set aside. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Mix icing sugar and vanilla powder with cooled tapioca flour, mix in softened butter and egg yolk. Gradually add in coconut cream until you get a soft, pliable dough. You may need more, or less coconut cream than suggested depending on the absorption capability of the flour, and how much moisture it contained when you weighed it in the beginning (this time I ended up using about 60ml).
3. Use the traditional Kuih Bangkit moulds to shape the biscuits. Alternatively, roll the dough out and cut with small cookie cutters, preferably flower shaped.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until dry but still light in colour. Cool and store in airtight container.
[Tip]
It is imperative that coconut cream (fresh, thick coconut milk without addition of water) is used in this recipe, not thin coconut milk! If canned coconut cream is used, do not shake the can before opening, then only use the cream that’s floating on top.
[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
Another thing I tried was to microwave the tapioca flour instead of dry-frying to rid it of any excess moisture. I have tried dry-frying the last couple of times, and I can tell you that’s a very tedious job indeed having to stir the flour continuously throughout. I thought why not just do it in the microwave to dry it out? Quick and simple! Mind you, I haven’t seen or heard it being done in the microwave before and I had vision of the flour exploding in my microwave, ha ha… So anyway, the first time I tried, I put the flour directly on the microwave-safe container and after microwaving, a thin layer of flour stuck to the bottom of the container as the moisture actually condensed to the bottom and stuck the layer of flour to the container like glue! So I tried with a piece of paper towel next, and this time it worked, the paper towel absorbed the moisture. As this was an experiment on my part, I only microwaved it for 1 minute as the flour seemed hot and dry enough, so I left it at that. If the flour seems to be not dried enough, you can tell by how ‘wet’ the paper towel is, I think I would sift the flour out first to another container (to air it out a bit), then put the flour on a fresh, dry paper towel and microwave for another 30 seconds or so… Well, that’s what I would do anyway…
Adapted from the recipe ‘KUE BANGKIT -榜吉糕’ at ‘我在印度尼西亞。。。’, Indonesia.
Makes at least 50 small biscuits using traditional Kuih Bangkit moulds.
[Ingredients]
200g tapioca flour
50g reduced-salt butter, softened
100g icing sugar, sifted
50ml (approx.) coconut cream, adjust as necessary
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Line the inside of a microwave-safe container with paper towel (kitchen paper), spread tapioca flour evenly on top of the paper, microwave on HIGH (650W microwave) for 1 minute. Remove, sift into a mixing bowl and cool, set aside. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Mix icing sugar and vanilla powder with cooled tapioca flour, mix in softened butter and egg yolk. Gradually add in coconut cream until you get a soft, pliable dough. You may need more, or less coconut cream than suggested depending on the absorption capability of the flour, and how much moisture it contained when you weighed it in the beginning (this time I ended up using about 60ml).
3. Use the traditional Kuih Bangkit moulds to shape the biscuits. Alternatively, roll the dough out and cut with small cookie cutters, preferably flower shaped.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until dry but still light in colour. Cool and store in airtight container.
[Tip]
It is imperative that coconut cream (fresh, thick coconut milk without addition of water) is used in this recipe, not thin coconut milk! If canned coconut cream is used, do not shake the can before opening, then only use the cream that’s floating on top.
[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
Labels: Biscuits (Cookies), Festives

10 Comments:
Dear 法浪客: 我是SarahT,下午我按你給的食譜做了這個點心,沒錯入可即化很香,但甜度而言對我家是甜了些(下回我自己來減一點糖試試).你說傳統的Kuih Bangkit是沒加奶油地,但因曾試做過幾次,硬得像石頭,不過我倒想試一試,不知你可不可以提供類似的食譜供參考? 對了 這個糕在吃的時後總覺得會有一點酸酸的口感,是不是Trioca flour本身就是這樣的特色還是我買的粉不好??? 還有這種糕傳統的口感(或是成功的成品)是不是應該拿起來不會散,咬下去有一點點硬度 但是送入口後要入口即化,成品的顏色要雪白,印出的糕紋要明顯不能花掉?
Sarah,
歡迎,好久不「見」!妳也試做了這個我們馬來西亞的新年餅乾Kuih Bangkit啦~應該謝謝婷提供的食譜。其實我那天試做時換算後本想用80g的糖粉,可是糊里糊塗去量成100g,後來吃時還覺得適合我口感,就將就了。
妳說吃後有酸酸的口感,應該不會的!那還是別吃了,免得吃壞肚子~問題有可能是木薯粉不好,不過我覺得更有可能是不是妳用的椰奶變質變酸不好了!因為椰奶真的是很容易變酸壞掉地!
這傳統餅乾是應該拿起來不會散~對!
剛咬下去是有一點點硬「脆」度,但是送入口後要入口即化~對!
成品的顏色要雪白(通常見是非常淡淡奶白色),印出的糕紋要明顯不能花掉~對!
至於這餅乾傳統做法,其實就是奶油部份全用濃椰奶替代即可~我以前做時有可能是沒用「濃」椰奶才失敗,新年前如有時間我自己也要再嘗試做做傳統的配方。
這裡這個傳統配方妳可試試﹕
Kuih Bangkit
400g tapioca flour
4 pandan leaves, cut into 5cm lengths
2 egg yolks
150g castor sugar, or to taste
150ml (approx.) coconut cream
Dry pan-fry tapioca flour together with the pandan leaves over a medium heat till light and dry, then sift and leave aside to cool thoroughly.
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Sift in tapioca flour and mix.
Add coconut cream a little at a time. Knead well into a pliable dough.
Use a wooden mould to press out desired shapes or roll out dough to a thickness of 3/4cm on a lightly-floured tabletop. Stamp out desired shapes with cookie or kuih bangkit cutters.
Place on a baking tray (lightly floured with tapioca flour). Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 20 – 25 minutes or until the kuih bangkit turns dry. Cool before storing.
Dear法浪客: 你別嚇我,那個耶漿是要做時才開的罐頭呢! 都會壞掉唷! 那是不是都要先嘗一下有沒壞才用ㄚ?
跟你分享一下最近做中式糕餅的一些要外表看起來硬但其實是酥,入口即化 且印出的花紋不能花的一些觀察心得
. 拌粉要用切粉法(有耐心將溼料慢慢切入乾粉中),不能用揉的,揉的多出來的成品必硬如石. 偷懶可以用food processor 將粉與濕料用pause 的方式混合(像老外做派皮類似的道理)
. 拌好粉要醒,這樣讓粉吸收其中的液體更勻盡,然後在稍為再揉一下麵團後進行分割壓模.
. 如果配方中的油量不少,成品要求要外表是硬,則烤溫不要太高,也不要關緊門烤,寧可稍稍讓門半掩,慢慢的將成品烤乾,花紋也不會因溫高而花掉.
我們家先生還建議我下次在這個糕裡參一些乾耶絲,讓我下次試試這個不放奶油完全靠椰奶中椰油的配方後再告訴你 成不成功?
Sarah,
ㄟ,說真的,我就碰過一次這樣經驗,一打開罐裝椰奶,就覺得味道有點不對勁,還是趕緊就把它給丟了為妙。之後我開罐裝椰奶都會先嚐一下才用。
哈哈,前幾天我還在考慮那切粉法餅乾問題呢!因為參考一些餅乾食譜是用切粉法,我還在想這種做派皮做法的餅乾成品到底有什麼不同,想不到妳這就把答案分享了,真是謝謝妳囉!
妳要在Kuih Bangkit裡加乾椰絲啊~可以試試看喔!不過我覺得這樣會失去這糕點的最大特色~「入口即化」,有了那些椰絲就要細嚼了,就不是完全入口即化的了吧~不過還是期待看妳試後的成品評論!
海龍
sarahT 說在糕裡參點椰絲的話就好像印尼這裏的一種KUE SAGU了。
sarahT
試看先把椰絲炒香至微黃後才加入,味道會更不一樣
對不起,上面留言的是我 ~ 婷
婷,
Kue Sagu福建話是不是sa-go-pia,這我只聽過,還沒見或吃過也。除了加入椰絲,其它材料是不是和Kue Bangkit一模一樣?妳有食譜嗎?
好像是哦,我也不是很確定,太久沒碰過了,因為不喜歡吃,所以沒興趣注意有關這糕點的一切。
只是還存有一點點的印像而以啦,就是吃後嘴裡還會殘留那嚼不掉椰絲,所以不喜歡 嘻嘻。。。
都是酥脆酥脆的好像KUE BANGKIT,它比KUE BANGKIT還要硬些。
抱歉了啦, 我沒有這食譜e
哎唷,忘了跟你拜年啦
祝你 雞年進步 年年高升
how i wish i can bake like you.
thanks for sharing......jackie
Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I love reading your recipes because there are a lot of valuable details, pictures and helpful tips.
I found this kuih bangkit recipe
http://kimmy-cookingpleasure.blogspot.com/2013/01/kuih-bangkit-cny-2013.html
The blogger said the dough is not wet but crumbly.
I saw this thai video demo on another type of kuih Khanom sam panee (I don't know thai, just watch the actions and rely on google translate and online thai dictionary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0TRsSKYgbE
Then using your putu piring recipe instructions to gradually add the liquid to get the breadcrumb texture,sift and press it into the mold. The texture of the kuih bangkit was light and crumbly not wet or gummy.
I finally managed to get the right
kuih bangkit texture with your help
Thanks.
Post a Comment
<< Home