November 27, 2005

Pecan Makmur (Pecan Biscuits à la Kuih Makmur)

Pecan Biscuits à la Kuih Makmur
While browsing for biscuit recipes on the net, I came across this recipe for Pecan Crescent Cookies at Epicurious. It has got a very high user rating but since I did not wish to make them into crescent shapes, I decided to make a few small changes to turn them into Kuih Makmur styled biscuits. As it was also too much of a fuss to do the wrap-the-ground-nut-inside-the-biscuit-dough for the kuih Makmur, the mix-the-ground-nut-with-the-biscuit-dough just suited me to a T, so I decided to try it. Wow, they are definitely melt-in-your-mouth and so delicious! This one is definitely a keeper and I think it can also be easily made using peanut, walnut, almond or other type of nuts.
Pecan Biscuits à la Kuih Makmur

Adapted from the recipe 'Pecan Crescent Cookies' at Epicurious, USA.

Makes approx. 60+ biscuits.

[Ingredients]
300g plain flour, sifted
125g (about 1 cup) pecans
1/2 teaspoon salt
100g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
225g ghee, melted
extra icing sugar for dusting
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Line a shallow microwaveable container with paper towel. Spread plain flour evenly on the paper towel and microwave on HIGH (650W microwave) for about 1 minute. Fluff the flour with a fork and repeat with a fresh piece of paper towel for another minute if necessary. Sift into a mixing bowl and let cool.
2. Toast pecans in a dry frying pan, over medium to low heat, for about 10 minutes, or until the pecans are slightly brown. Grind into powder.
3. Mix together flour, ground pecan, salt and sifted icing sugar in a big mixing bowl. Add vanilla and cooled melted ghee and mix into a soft dough.
Pecan Biscuit Dough
4. Scoop 2 teaspoons of dough and make into a ball. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Chill the dough balls in refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes before baking.
Pecan Biscuit Dough Balls before Baking
5. Preheat oven to 180°C.
6. Bake for about 12 minutes. Depending on your oven, baking time may varies, so watch carefully as biscuits will crack if baked for too long.
Freshly Baked Pecan Biscuits à la Kuih Makmur
7. Cool the biscuits slightly then dust with or roll in icing sugar.
Pecan Biscuits à la Kuih Makmur dusted with Icing Sugar

[Note]
Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At November 30, 2005, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said...

I have been trying to find a similar recipe to make the peanuts cookie for CNY. I think this is it! Since it got your approval, I just substitute the pecans with peanuts, cool! Thanks SD! :D Oh, I also want to substitute the ghee with melted butter, what do you think the outcome would be, can do or not?

 
At November 30, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Little Corner of Mine,
It should be fine if you use butter since the original recipe called for butter as well. Also, I guess once you melt the butter most of the water content in the butter would have evaporated as well...

 
At December 01, 2005, Blogger myCoffee said...

Your site is one of my favourites for baking inspirations. Thanks! Would like to ask whether can I substitute the ghee with shortening?

 
At December 02, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Hi myCoffee,
Thanks and yes, I think it should be alright substituting with shortening.

 
At December 02, 2005, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks SD. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home