Pandan Coconut Muffins
The other day, I had a sudden craving for my favourite blueberry muffins, so decided to make a quick batch to curb that craving. However as I opened my freezer to get the box of frozen blueberries I always kept for such an occasion, I realised that I had used them up last time and forgot to stock up a new box! So what to do? I still wanted my muffins! Feeling too lazy to run to the shop, I took stock of what I had in the pantry and fridge…well hmmm, I’d got a newly-opened tube of pandan paste, some coconut milk powder which was quickly running out of used-by date…so I thought what about some South-East Asian flavoured pandan coconut muffins? I took my blueberry muffins recipe and made a few changes to accommodate these new flavours. Crossed my fingers…I baked them. After about 20 minutes of baking, I took them out, took one and quickly have a taste, it actually tasted very nice indeed! Ahhh, satisfaction. Talking about muffins, always serve them warm as that’s the best way to eat them, in my opinion anyway. That said, however, I don’t like muffins warm just baked straight from the oven, as they have a crispy crust, which detract from the texture of the soft muffins. Call me peculiar, but I like to let them cool, then put them in the microwave and heat on HIGH for about 30 seconds, take out and serve with a dollop of butter…yummy!
Makes 6 large muffins (However, if you like muffins that look nice and pretty, this amount will make more than six.)
Preparation time: about 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
[Ingredients]
1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
pinch salt
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup (40g) coconut milk powder
150ml water
70ml corn oil
1/2 teaspoon approx. pandan paste

http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 6 muffin cups (each 80ml capacity) with paper cups.
2. Sift self-raising flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
3. Dissolve coconut milk powder with water, add corn oil, egg and pandan paste. Beat lightly to combine. Pour mixture in one go into the flour mixture. With a spatula quickly and lightly mix together, do not over-mix, batter should still be lumpy.
4. Spoon evenly into the prepared muffin cups. It should fill nearly to the top of each cup, as I like my muffins overflowing when baked.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool. Just before serving, heat in microwave for about 30 seconds then serve with a dollop of butter.
[Tips]
1. Over-mix muffin batter makes tough muffins!
2. To make your own self-raising flour, for every 150g plain flour, add 2 teaspoons baking powder and pinch (1/8 tsp) salt.
[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
Addendum December 8, 2005
Pandan Coconut Muffins (improved version)

[Ingredients]
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
1 egg
30g coconut milk powder
90ml water
50ml canola or corn oil
1/4 teaspoon approx. pandan paste
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Line 6 muffin cups (each 80ml capacity) with paper cups.
2. Sift self-raising flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
3. Dissolve coconut milk powder with water, add oil, egg and pandan paste. Beat lightly to combine. Pour mixture in one go into the flour mixture. With a spoon quickly and lightly mix together using folding action, do not over-mix.
4. Divide evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
5. Bake for about 22 minutes. Let cool. Just before serving, heat in microwave for about 30 seconds then serve with a dollop of butter.

Makes 6 large muffins (However, if you like muffins that look nice and pretty, this amount will make more than six.)
Preparation time: about 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
[Ingredients]
1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
pinch salt
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup (40g) coconut milk powder
150ml water
70ml corn oil
1/2 teaspoon approx. pandan paste
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 6 muffin cups (each 80ml capacity) with paper cups.
2. Sift self-raising flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
3. Dissolve coconut milk powder with water, add corn oil, egg and pandan paste. Beat lightly to combine. Pour mixture in one go into the flour mixture. With a spatula quickly and lightly mix together, do not over-mix, batter should still be lumpy.
4. Spoon evenly into the prepared muffin cups. It should fill nearly to the top of each cup, as I like my muffins overflowing when baked.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool. Just before serving, heat in microwave for about 30 seconds then serve with a dollop of butter.
[Tips]
1. Over-mix muffin batter makes tough muffins!
2. To make your own self-raising flour, for every 150g plain flour, add 2 teaspoons baking powder and pinch (1/8 tsp) salt.
[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
Addendum December 8, 2005
Pandan Coconut Muffins (improved version)
[Ingredients]
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
1 egg
30g coconut milk powder
90ml water
50ml canola or corn oil
1/4 teaspoon approx. pandan paste
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Line 6 muffin cups (each 80ml capacity) with paper cups.
2. Sift self-raising flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
3. Dissolve coconut milk powder with water, add oil, egg and pandan paste. Beat lightly to combine. Pour mixture in one go into the flour mixture. With a spoon quickly and lightly mix together using folding action, do not over-mix.
4. Divide evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
5. Bake for about 22 minutes. Let cool. Just before serving, heat in microwave for about 30 seconds then serve with a dollop of butter.
Labels: Quick Breads
19 Comments:
I baked some last weekend. Smelled and looked great, but was a little moist yet hard. Does it make sense? It was already brown on the outside, but the inside was alittle moist altho when I used the toothpick to check, it came out clean. Please help this new baker...
Hi Anonymous,
Hmmmm, sounds very much like you have over-mixed the batter. When you stop mixing the batter, is it still lumpy or smooth? The inside of the muffins should be moist, almost have a 'crumbly' and 'fragile' texture after baking, very easy to break apart.
Another thing is, did you bake immediately after mixing? I always preheat the oven before doing anything, because it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and mix everything together. Hope this helps :)
wow, what a nice looking muffin, i bet they taste even better than they look Ü
I don't think i can find pandan paste locally, are there any substitute?
~~my~~,
Thanks :)
What about liquid or powder pandan essence? Is it available where you live?
If not the only substitute would be to use the real thing, pound or squeeze pandan leaves to get pandan juice...
If non of these are available, I'm afraid there's no other substitute for pandan...
thanks, but how can you squeeze out the pandan juice from a pandan leaf? Sorry if i'm asking too many questions....
It is quite easy, use either a blender to blend the leaves up, or use a pestle and mortar to pound the leaves (may need 6-10 leaves depending on the fragrance you want), you may need to add about 1 to 2 tablespoon of the water in the recipe to help in the blending or pounding. Then put the blended leaves with all its juices into a piece of muslin cloth and squeeze as much juice out as you can. Using this method you then add enough water to the juice to make up the amount of water needed in the recipe. Hope this helps :)
hey thanks, i'll definitely try that :)
I read through the recipe (the original and improved version)
I notced that you lessen the amounts of the ingredients, how come? What's the difference between the original and the improved one: texture, taste? Well, aside from the baking time Ü
Hi ~~my~~,
As you can see, I reduced the amount of most other ingredients except the egg which is still one. So the proportion of egg is increase in the batter in the improved version, making it softer and fluffier.
i see, thanks, maybe i'll try the orignal version but using 2 eggs Ü I'm afraid the improved version will make too few muffins for us to eat..hehe
Just a note though if you want to use 2 eggs for the original version, you might have to reduce some of the liquid amount in the ingredients, or else the batter might be too wet!
Otherwise make the improved version but double the amount, which should get you about 12 muffins.
hey thanks!!! so much for adding that note, i'll tell you how it turns out. I'll double the amount of the improvised version :)
HI! i finally made these muffins, I used 8 pandan leaves, pound them using mortar & pescle while adding water (it was hard work!) came up w/ 3/4 c of pandan liquid w/ that. I got 8 muffins (i doubled the improved version) It needs more pandan flavor, and i think more sugar. But we did enjoy it, Thanks for posting this unique recipe Ü
Picures here:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/fawn512/muffin/pandanlined.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/fawn512/muffin/pandanfrcafeoftheeastblog.jpg
~~my~~,
Congrats! Wow, they looks yummy! Thanks for the feedback too :)
BTW, muffins are not supposed to be very sweet because they are quick breads. I usually eat them with a dollop of butter spread over the muffins.
BTW, i think you could also boil water w/ pandan leaves in it for 15-20min til fragrant, and use that water in the recipe instead of pounding/grinding (w/ch is a lot of work) Ü
~~my~~,
Yes, that's possible, I think.
Let me know the result if you do try this method :)
Hello,
Was looking for pandan flavoured cakes when I came upon your recipe. Pandan coconut muffins sure sounds interesting. Can I substitute coconut powder and water for coconut milk? If so how much coconut milk to use for your improved recipe? Thank you. PK :)
Hi PK,
Just use 90ml coconut milk in place of the coconut milk powder and water :)
Thanks. Will try it out and let you know the outcome. PK :)
Post a Comment
<< Home