Lemon Meringue Pie
Without a doubt, the gorgeous Pavlova has to be counted as one of my favourite desserts. It would actually top my list of best desserts ever. I just love that marshmallowy soft centre of the meringue with its crispy crust. Another dessert that is quite similar would have to be the Lemon Meringue Pie. Although the meringue in this case does not have that crispy crust, it would still not be that far behind as another of my favourites.
I have been wanting to make this dessert for the longest time, but never managed to until this weekend. Having decided to make it, I gathered together some of the recipes I have in my cookbook collection and did some comparison. In the end I did a combination and adaptation of those recipes and came up with my own version. However the result was not too satisfactory.
I have read before that weeping is a problem a lot of people encountered while making this dessert, I did not realize how serious that was until my pie came out of the oven. There it was, a ring of syrup gathered around the edges of my pie… Then I also mucked up the pie pastry by trying to save time and take a shortcut, ending in shrinking the pastry case and was only able to fill the piecrust with about 2/3 of the filling I made… Oh well, another mistake, another lesson learnt! That said however, the filling was tangily (is there such a word?) delicious and the meringue came up a treat indeed! But have to get back to the drawing board and try to solve the weeping problem for my next attempt…

Lemon Meringue Pie – Notice how thin the filling layer is, due to my shrinking piecrust!
I have been wanting to make this dessert for the longest time, but never managed to until this weekend. Having decided to make it, I gathered together some of the recipes I have in my cookbook collection and did some comparison. In the end I did a combination and adaptation of those recipes and came up with my own version. However the result was not too satisfactory.
I have read before that weeping is a problem a lot of people encountered while making this dessert, I did not realize how serious that was until my pie came out of the oven. There it was, a ring of syrup gathered around the edges of my pie… Then I also mucked up the pie pastry by trying to save time and take a shortcut, ending in shrinking the pastry case and was only able to fill the piecrust with about 2/3 of the filling I made… Oh well, another mistake, another lesson learnt! That said however, the filling was tangily (is there such a word?) delicious and the meringue came up a treat indeed! But have to get back to the drawing board and try to solve the weeping problem for my next attempt…
Lemon Meringue Pie – Notice how thin the filling layer is, due to my shrinking piecrust!
7 Comments:
hi Seadragon,
your pie look very good leh....yummy
i was making pie too last weekend (Banana Cream Pie,got the recipe from a asian website) but FAILED the custard is too soft like a porrige texture and it wont set good :(
do you ever make this Banana cream pie before ? if you do care to share the recipe ?
Cheers,
Wendy Lim
Thanks, Wendy,
I have never made Banana Cream Pie before... Did you use eggs to make your custard or just eggless version using custard powder only? Either way, I think you have to cook until the custard thickened. Maybe you did not cook long enough? If you could describe the steps of how you made your custard, then maybe can find out where you went wrong? :)
hi SeaDragon,
i think you are right,i didnt cook the custard long enough,another things is i have never tasted or make banana cream pie before so i dont know how the filling should be ....by the way here is the recipe i used :
Filling :
2¼ cup milk
¾ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
4 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 egg yolks
¼ cup whipping cream
2 tbsp butter
¼ tbsp banana essence
3 med sized bananas, cubed or sliced
Method:
1. Mix well sugar, salt, flour and cornstarch.
2. Heat milk in double boiler till bubbles appeared. Remove.
3. Stir milk into sugar mixture gradually. Stir well.
4. Return to double boiler and cook for 15 mins, stirring constantly. Mixture will thicken.. Remove.
5. Beat egg yolks and add small amount to the mixture, blend well.
6. Return to boiler, cook for 5 mins, stirring.
7. Add butter and mix well.
8. Add whipping cream and mix well.
9. Spread ½ of the mixture into pie crust, and then banana slices and pour the remaining mixture.
Rgds,
W.Lim
Hi Wendy,
The method seems a little different from what I usually do with custard. Step 5 seems a little suspect, if you pour egg yolks into the hot mixture it can easily cook and set if you are not careful! Also no need to use double-boiler method.
I would mix about 1/2 cup milk with sugar, salt and egg yolks first, whisking to combine well. Then whisk in both flour and starch (can mix first with a little of the yolk mixture then combine together to prevent lumps). Bring the rest of the milk just to the boil in a saucepan then pour in small stream into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly to prevent eggs from setting. Then pour back into the saucepan and cook over medium to low heat until thickened, you have to whisk it all the time to prevent the custard from burning at the bottom. After the custard thickened, remove from heat and whisk in butter and then whipping cream. HTH.
hi seadragon,
i dunno weather here is the right place or no to ask from you a Apple Crumble recipe :p ?
Rgds,
Anita
Hi Anita,
Hehehe, how did you know I have been thinking of making Apple Crumble (or maybe rhubard) the last few days too... ? (Need warm dessert for the cold weather here!)
I will write up a proper recipe next week if you can wait, however for now the basic recipe is very simple...
Peel, core then cube apples (abt 6-8 apples), cook with sugar (adjust to taste), a little water and a pinch of cinnamon until apples are tender. Spoon into a baking dish.
Rub approx. 1/2 cup butter into 1 cup plain (or wholemeal) flour, add about 1/2 cup granulated sugar then spread lightly on top of the apple mixture, bake 180°C for about 30 minutes, or until top is crisp and golden brown. :)
hi seadragon,
ok i wait till you write up the proper recipe...here aslo cold too althought it said is spring now, the weather is still not very promising,one day warm(21-22'c) then later for few day cold(11-15'c)..ai-yah dunno lah....ha..ha..ha
Rgs,
Anita
Post a Comment
<< Home