July 14, 2005

Chocolate Macarons

Something French for Bastille Day!
After searching and reading a lot of articles about the French Macarons (they are not the same as the Coconut Macaroons), I’ve decided to at least give it a try, even though they seem to be quite hard to get right in terms of making. According to a lot of people, the best macarons are made by Pierre Hermé and Ladurée in Paris, Pierre Hermé also has a pâtisserie in Tokyo. However, I have not been fortunate enough to taste the renowned macarons from either. For those of you not familiar with macarons, they are very delicate almond meringue biscuits (cookies) made with almond meal, icing sugar and egg whites. A good macaron is supposed to have a light and shiny, thin and crispy crust that encloses a light, soft and chewy interior. This macaron shell can either be served as is or filled by sandwiching two shells together with a filling that complements its flavour.
I’ve decided to use a recipe adapted from Pierre Hermé, which was the Chocolate Macaroon recipe beautifully and concisely written by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar. I then gathered together all the essential details for making macarons from the eGullet forum. I even let my egg whites sit out uncovered for almost 30 hours before using. The result was not too bad I must say. Although I mucked up the first batch by not resting the piped-out paste for long enough to form a skin layer, I think that’s the reason anyway, and most of the first batch cracked before finishing baking! The second batch, evidently I rested longer while baking the first batch, I kept vigil in front of the oven, and ended up baking them for 25 minutes instead of the 10 - 12 minutes suggested by the recipe. However the second batch really came up triumph! No cracks on the surface, have shiny skins and even those frilly feet! They also tasted very good, but I’m sure the real thing from Pierre Hermé would taste even more heavenly! As this was an experimentation, I did not make any filling to go with them, but will definitely make them again properly next time with the filling.
Macaron batter consistency
The consistency of my macaron batter.

Piped out Macaron rounds
The piped-out rounds of macaron resting before baking.

Failed first batch of Macarons
The failed first batch.

Second batch of better looking Macarons
The more successful second batch.

4 Comments:

At July 15, 2005, Blogger Makan Kings said...

Your macaroons look beautiful. Never tried macaroons before. Wonder if we can get them here in Malaysia.

Cheers,
-Makan Kings-

 
At July 16, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Hi Makan Kings,
Thank you, I'm surprisingly pleased with the result myself especially the second batch - didn't think I could make it!
Haha, not sure if you can find them in M'sia, but if you do, must definitely give it a taste-test!

 
At August 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your macaroons is really beautifully done. I tried to make it once but my hazelnut macaroon stuck onto my parchment like mad.

 
At August 19, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Hugbear,
Thanks. Actually mine also stuck fast to the paper after they cooled down. Then I followed the advice at eGullet by carefully pouring a little hot water between the paper and the tray to steam loose the macarons. Pour the water off then just carefully flipped the whole thing upside down onto another tray and peeled the paper off the macarons and it worked! ... Try that next time :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home