August 14, 2005

Cookbooks: Mini Cookbook Series from AWW & Family Circle

AWW & Family Circle Mini Cookbooks
I admit, I am addicted to buying these mini cookbooks. My latest acquisition is the ‘Simple Slices’ bought just last week. I can’t help it, every time I walk into a bookshop or a newsagent, I would browse through these mini cookbooks to see if any new titles have made it to the shelf.
The first one I bought would have been ‘Café Cakes’ almost four years ago, and the recipe inside for Orange Poppyseed Syrup Cake is now a perennial favourite of mine and I have made it so many times I have lost counts (and before you ask, sorry, cannot publish the recipe here as it is copyrighted, but I'm sure the cookbook is available worldwide). So far all the recipes I have tried from these cookbooks have not failed me yet. The 100% success rate could be because Australian Women’s Weekly (AWW) claimed to have triple-tested all their recipes and Family Circle double-tested theirs before being allowed to be published. By the way, AWW also has its own TV cooking show called Fresh with lots of recipes! Ooh, do I sound like I’m doing advertisement for them? Rest assured, I don't mean to, just a little bit crazy about these tiny itty bitty cookbooks… OK, stop rambling, get back to more baking! But, but, but I’m feeling rather lazy today…

5 Comments:

At August 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,
may i ask what's the ISBN number for the Chocolate cake one ??


Thank in advance.

 
At August 14, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Hi Charla,
No worries, its ISBN is 1 86396 362 6.

 
At August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SD, nice collection. I noticed that u have one on Christmas stuff. Can I ask whether u have a good tested Xmas Fruit Cake recipe to share? Have u tried the steamed and non-steamed type? Which is/would be better? tks _kirsten

 
At August 15, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Hey Kirsten,
Guess what, we don't actually do Christmas Fruit Cake because of the hot summer weather here. I think it is more a northern hemisphere thing - lack of fresh fruit in winter traditionally, I guess - since here in the southern hemisphere we have a lot of fresh fruit during Dec. For another thing, I don't like Christmas cake/pudding myself, I find it too heavy and stodgy for the hot weather, so have never made it before. If need be, it would be a small bought-one just for Christmas gesture :) But usually, we prefer to have either pavlova topped with lots of fresh berries or other fruit (always a popular choice), chilled cheesecake, Yule Log, ice-cream cake or even cassata for Christmas desserts.

 
At August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OIC *dissapointed* ;( nvm
Hm...your other xmas bakes also sound interesting! Will keep a look out for them. ;p tks _k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home