September 21, 2005

Cherry Cake

Cherry Cake
Ah… Cherry Cake! This cake always brings back memory of open house visits during Chinese New Year or Hari Raya. It seemed that the only times I got to eat this cake were during these festive times as they were always home-made, cut into small slices and served with all the other goodies in one of those compartmented serving platters for open house.
I have only made this cake once before with disappointing result because all the cherries sank to the bottom of the cake after baking! Over the weekend, I was planning to attempt another experiment with the Savoury Sweet Patties recipe (thought of another translation for this ‘heong paeng’ in English, what about ‘Aromatic Puffs’, hey?), but once again forgot to buy the maltose… so have to postpone it… While rummaging through the pantry, I found this packet of glacé cherries which had just gone past its expiry date, but still alright to use as it was still sealed. Can’t even remember why I bought it in the first place… So decided to try making Cherry Cake again.
A Slice of Cherry Cake
I decided to use Delia Smith’s recipe this time, but her full recipe called for 250g glacé cherries and the packet on my hand was only 100g. So I made some compromises and came up with this adaptation of her recipe. The cake was a little short in height since I used 20cm cake tin as well with the reduction of ingredient quantities, but wow, it tasted just like I remembered it from all those open house visits back home in Malaysia… Yummy indeed… And the cherries suspended themselves beautifully in the cake as well!
Cherry Cake with suspended Glace Cherries

Adapted from the recipe ‘Old-Fashioned Cherry Cake’ at ‘Delia Online’, UK.

Makes one 20cm cake.
[Ingredients]
150g reduced-salt butter, softened at room temperature
150g caster sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
75g plain flour, sifted
75g self-raising flour, sifted
100g glacé cherries, quartered
60g almond meal
10ml water
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a round 20cm cake tin. Quarter cherries and toss together with almond meal, set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla. Fold in sifted flours. Finally fold in cherries and almond meal mixture together with water.
3. Spoon batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from the oven and stand for 15 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Freshly baked Cherry Cake
[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home