October 27, 2005

Kue Lapis Legit / Spekkoek

Lapis Legit
Lapis Legit, or Spekkoek (a Dutch word meaning lard cake or wafer) is an Indonesian cake associated with the Dutch colonization of the country. Kue Lapis Legit (‘kue’ is Indonesian for ‘kuih’, ‘lapis’ meaning layer, ‘legit’ meaning sweet or nice and sticky of cake) is the more commonly known name for the cake in Indonesia, but the name Spekkoek or Spekuk is still being used also. In Malaysia or Singapore, it is called Kuih Lapis Batavia (Batavia was the Capital of Dutch East Indies, now the site of Jakarta), in order to differentiate it from another pudding of the region also commonly known as Kuih Lapis (or Kuih Lapis Beras) which is steamed and made with rice flour.
I have been wanting to try making this cake for a long time. However with about 30 egg yolks needed for a normal sized cake, I have never been brave enough to try. With the frenzy of cake orders from last week, I was left with over 20 egg yolks in my fridge, so the time has come for me to try this cake finally. I chose to use a recipe posted by a boardmate from Sarawak at 克萊兒的點心小棧 when we were discussing the cake about 2 or 3 years ago, as her family recipe uses only egg yolks, no egg whites at all. I was not too keen to use any recipes with some egg whites in them because apparently egg whites will make the cake firmer, not as soft as it should be. I halved the recipe using about 15 egg yolks and used a small loaf tin to bake it.
My ancient oven has a separate grill and oven. The grill does not have any temperature indicator, so I have to put a thermometer under the grill to control the temperature. Well, it was not too bad for a first attempt, the cake was very soft and moist, however I have to admit I actually burnt the first layer… and had to throw away that first layer and start all over again! Therefore be warned if you want to attempt making this cake – do not move away from the grill during the baking period, you have to watch it diligently at all time!
Lapis Legit


Adapted from the recipe '印尼千層糕' (posted by yy on February 16, 2003) at 克萊兒的點心小棧 (留言版), Canada.

Makes one small loaf tin.

[Ingredients]
Lapis Legit:
300g (about 15) egg yolks
125g caster sugar
50g sweetened condensed milk
50g plain flour
1 – 2 teaspoon(s) Lapis Legit Spice, depending on your taste
250g butter, softened at room temperature
Lapis Legit Spices
Lapis Legit Spice (Bumbu Lapis Legit):
5cm length cinnamon quill (1 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
10 cloves (1/2 teaspoon ground clove)
5 green cardamoms (1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom)
1 segment of star anise (1/4 teaspoon ground star anise)
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
Lapis Legit Spice:
Toast the spices in a dry frying pan over medium to low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove and let cool. Split green cardamom pods by crushing lightly in a pestle and mortar, then remove seeds and discard pods. Put cardamom seeds, cinnamon quill, cloves and star anise segment in the pestle and mortar and grind into powder. Sift the mixed spice through a fine sieve before using, you should get about 2 teaspoons of the mixed spice.
Lapis Legit:
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until it is like a thick, mousse-like mixture and when you lift the whisk, leaves a trail like a piece of ribbon.
2. Add condensed milk and beat in to combine. Fold in sifted flour and Lapis Legit Spice.
3. Cream butter until light and fluffy. Little by little, mix the egg mixture into the creamed butter (see image 1 below, batter of Lapis Legit).
4. Preheat grill (or the top element of your oven) to about 120°C. Grease a loaf tin well and line bottom with a piece of baking paper, grease the paper as well. Put the empty prepared loaf tin under the grill to heat up for a couple of minutes.
Making Lapis Legit
5. Remove the loaf tin from the heat and use a ladle to scoop about 1/3 cup of batter into the tin. Use the back of a spoon to distribute the batter evenly and level the surface, the bottom part of the batter will start to melt from the heat, but do not worry about it. Put the tin back under the grill and grill for about 3-5 minutes, or until the top is golden brown in colour, you have to watch it carefully to prevent it from burning into charcoal (see image 2 above, golden brown layer of Lapis Legit)! Remove the loaf tin from the grill, prick the surface with a toothpick or bamboo skewer, then ladle another layer of batter on top, repeat as above making the layers until all batter is used up.
6. When the final layer is done, put the cake into a preheated oven (or turn off top element and turn on bottom element of your oven), 150°C, for about 15 minutes to finish baking.
7. Stand cake in tin for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool (see image 3 above).

[Tip]
You may replace the Lapis Legit Spice with just 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon if you have problems getting the other spices.

[Variation]
Lapis Prune
(Note: I have not try this myself!)
Add about 200 - 250g seedless prunes. Cut each prune open and flatten. Then arrange a layer of the flattened prune after every 3 layers of batter.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At October 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to try your kuih lapis legit. I know how hard it is to make a kueh lapis. Well done!

 
At October 31, 2005, Blogger Robyn said...

That cake looks beautiful! I've never seen or heard of it before. If only I could have a piece...;)

 
At November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! This is one cake I would never dare to try, but definitely love eating. Pei fu, pei fu...

jcheng

 
At November 01, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Amber,
Thanks, let me know how it turns out if you do try making it :)

Robyn,
Thanks. This cake is really a cholesterol heaven with the large amount of butter and egg yolks used, but taste really yummy though :) Eat once a year OK...

jcheng,
Thank you :) definitely a very time consuming cake to make, don't think I will make it again for a long while...

 
At November 08, 2005, Blogger Babe_KL said...

wow fantabulous. i only got yummy ones from my hubby's jakarta trips and they're very very expensive.

 
At November 09, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

babe_kl,
Yeah, after making it myself, now I can understand why they are always so expensive :)
You are very lucky to be able to eat those from Jakarta!

 
At November 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm not very experienced with baking, but may I just check if 50g is the correct amount for the flour? Seems like very little for the amount of eggs and butter. Thank you.

 
At November 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there,
yup, takes a lot of patient to make this cake, but it all worth in the end. n never ever leave the oven while u're baking it, very true !

i usually press the layer (not that hard) with the mixed of butter (weismann butter) & rhum, so the lapis will be dense / firm. and only 2-3 spoons per layer, so many many layers in one cake ;P

and for the butter mixture, i use 1/4 butter (weismann - a dutch brand butter which will gv a very nice aroma / smell and moist the cake) and 3/4 mentega (blue band).

n for the last baking, i put aluminium foil to cover the top, n usually it only takes 5 minutes.

kue lapis can be frozen at the freezer up to one month. for my family, the longer we keep it, more tasty it'll become (probably bcos only little cake left for the whole family ;P).

 
At November 17, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

anon,
Yes, that's correct, only 50g flour needed. I think with the large amount of egg yolks used, they are doing all the binding needed for the cake.

Maya,
Thank you so much for your valuable inputs. I will certainly note them down, still got a lot to learn about making this kue.

You mentioned pressing the layer with a mix of butter & rhum, do you mean using cold hard butter dipped in rhum and use that to press each layer? Or use the 'presser' dipped in melted butter & rhum to press? I've heard about 'kue lapis presser' used to press each layer while baking, although I've never seen one. I was thinking of using the bottom of a glass as a presser before, but I completely and totally forgot about this step while doing it :p No wonder my layers are so uneven!

That's so true about the longer it is kept, the more fragrant and tastier it is, but so hard to do, keep wanting to pop little slices into my mouth everytime I see it :)

 
At November 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seadragon,

Use the 'presser' dipped in melted butter & rhum to press.

If u want the presser (it's very light n small), i can always give you one since i can easily get it here. i live in Jakarta btw.

just e-mail me if want :)

 
At November 26, 2005, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Maya,
Thanks for the clarification about the butter and rhum.

It is also so sweet of you for the offer, but as it is unlikely I will be making Lapis Legit very often, so don't think I need it for the moment, too much clutters in my kitchen already. Thanks all the same :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home