Peanut Pancakes 麵煎粿、滿煎粿
The Hokkien Peanut Pancakes (is it Hokkien? Not too sure… ) are one of the more popular kuihs of Malaysia and Singapore. I grew up eating these pancakes quite often. They are usually quite thick, springy pancakes with beehive-like tunnels and each pancake is folded in half sandwiching a layer of delicious peanut sugar filling.
I have been trying to find the recipe for making these pancakes I grew up eating for quite a while now since I haven't been able to buy them here. I have tried a number of recipes without coming anywhere close to the texture I remembered them to be. Over the weekend I finally decided to do something about it. I made a whole lot of experimenting and after making 5 batches of the pancakes, finally producing something at least with honeycomb effects in the pancakes. Boy oh boy, am I now sick of eating them after craving for them for quite a while!
After making pancakes that were too sticky, too glutinous, too tough, too thick and most of them with no honeycombs, I was almost giving up the quest when finally the fifth batch gave me some hope. I cooked half of the batter and finally a hint of some honeycombs but the pancakes was a bit too thick and viscous. So I added more water to the rest of the pancake batter. Crossed my fingers and cooked a thin layer of that. It came out soft and when I cut it in half, voila, honeycombs, lovely honeycombs in the pancake… I was over the moon even though the texture was still not quite right as it was a bit too cakey, not springy (Q) enough for my taste. As the recipe still need fine tuning, I won't publish it for now. Let me have time to crave for them again and tinker with the recipe next time, then hopefully if the texture is right, I will post the recipe.

1. The sponge batter.
2. Sponge batter mixed with main batter and ready to prove.
3. After proving
4. The failed version on the left. The one on the right was after I added extra water to the batter and finally success with honeycombs!
I have been trying to find the recipe for making these pancakes I grew up eating for quite a while now since I haven't been able to buy them here. I have tried a number of recipes without coming anywhere close to the texture I remembered them to be. Over the weekend I finally decided to do something about it. I made a whole lot of experimenting and after making 5 batches of the pancakes, finally producing something at least with honeycomb effects in the pancakes. Boy oh boy, am I now sick of eating them after craving for them for quite a while!
After making pancakes that were too sticky, too glutinous, too tough, too thick and most of them with no honeycombs, I was almost giving up the quest when finally the fifth batch gave me some hope. I cooked half of the batter and finally a hint of some honeycombs but the pancakes was a bit too thick and viscous. So I added more water to the rest of the pancake batter. Crossed my fingers and cooked a thin layer of that. It came out soft and when I cut it in half, voila, honeycombs, lovely honeycombs in the pancake… I was over the moon even though the texture was still not quite right as it was a bit too cakey, not springy (Q) enough for my taste. As the recipe still need fine tuning, I won't publish it for now. Let me have time to crave for them again and tinker with the recipe next time, then hopefully if the texture is right, I will post the recipe.
1. The sponge batter.
2. Sponge batter mixed with main batter and ready to prove.
3. After proving
4. The failed version on the left. The one on the right was after I added extra water to the batter and finally success with honeycombs!
Labels: Asian Buns and Pancakes, Kuih-Muih
7 Comments:
Hi SD, I am just rolling the baton over. I tagged you on http://preciousmoments2.blogspot.com/
Hi Edith,
Wa, got tagged twice within 2 days! Have to wait til this weekend before I can do any writing, just got order for 8 desserts from my cousin the past week, so spending all my free time after work baking!
SeaDragon,
I think someone got tagged twice within a day. :wink: Seems like everyone is making this Peanut Pancakes.
Hey Jas,
What, twice in ONE day :)
Haven't had a chance to read all the memes yet :(
Yeah, saw a few peoples at KC making peanut pancakes as well, I have tried for one year already, finally got something reasonble!
Hihi...
I miss this snack just looking at your pictures! In Japanese supermarkets, there are hot-cake mixes n these do not taste like the western pancakes. They have an uncanny resemblance in taste to min jiang kuih! I got really sentimental when I first tasted one. Yeah, it makes me yearned for home. Until you are happy with the recipe and post it, I'll make do with the ready mix. A tip for those who have access to the mix. :P
tabehodai,
Welcome! Wah, didn't know that, will see if I can find them here in Japanese shop for a taste-test :) But will definitely post recipe if I'm successful...
海龍: 我是SarahT,long time no talk. 謝謝你這個帖,我也回去試了一試,讓你看看我做的
http://blog.yam.com/homebythelake/archives/699573.html
Post a Comment
<< Home