Sour Cream Scones
These are American-style scones (or known as ‘biscuits’ in America) which have a softer and cake-like texture as opposed to the traditional English-style scones which are more bread-like in texture. Although I have made the traditional English scones a number of times, this is the first time I have tried making this American-style type of scones, apart from the time I made the delicious American Mile-High Biscuits (think that’s the name but unfortunately lost the recipe during my computer crash at the beginning of this year and could not access her excellent foodblog now) shared by Renee of ‘shiokadelicious!’ fame which needed to be baked in a cake tin or muffin pan as the dough is more like a thick batter than a dough. Thinking of making something similar recently but not using cake tin or muffin pan, I thought of using sour cream to make the scones which I thought might make them moister and softer, similar to cakes using sour cream. I searched the net and found a number of recipes using sour cream as one of the ingredients and I roughly adapted from a few of them and came up with this version. Voila! They turned out yummy, moist, soft and cake-like. Definitely a keeper if you like cake-y scones!
Just a note about making successful scones, it is very important to NOT handle the dough too much. If the dough is kneaded a little too much, gluten will develop and toughen the scones! Therefore try to use the palm of your hands to pat or press the dough together rather than using kneading action. As long as the dough holds together it is OK, it will be rough on the surface and not smooth.

Makes approx. 10-12 scones.
[Ingredients]
300g (2 cups) plain flour
1 tablespoon (20ml) baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
50g caster sugar
100g cold salt-reduced butter, cubed
1 egg, lightly beaten
150g sour cream
milk for brushing
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Sift plain flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
2. Rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add lightly beaten egg and sour cream. Cut with a bread knife to combine into a dough. Gently gather the dough together and pat or press into a ball (try not to knead if you can), it will be a bit crumbly but don’t worry too much about it.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into about 2cm thick layer. Use a 5 or 7cm cookie cutter to cut out rounds. Gently gather together remaining dough and repeat until the dough is all cut out.

4. Place close together on a cookie tray and brush the top with a little milk. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until risen and golden brown. Serve hot with whipped cream (or butter) and jam.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
Just a note about making successful scones, it is very important to NOT handle the dough too much. If the dough is kneaded a little too much, gluten will develop and toughen the scones! Therefore try to use the palm of your hands to pat or press the dough together rather than using kneading action. As long as the dough holds together it is OK, it will be rough on the surface and not smooth.
Makes approx. 10-12 scones.
[Ingredients]
300g (2 cups) plain flour
1 tablespoon (20ml) baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
50g caster sugar
100g cold salt-reduced butter, cubed
1 egg, lightly beaten
150g sour cream
milk for brushing
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Sift plain flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
2. Rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add lightly beaten egg and sour cream. Cut with a bread knife to combine into a dough. Gently gather the dough together and pat or press into a ball (try not to knead if you can), it will be a bit crumbly but don’t worry too much about it.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into about 2cm thick layer. Use a 5 or 7cm cookie cutter to cut out rounds. Gently gather together remaining dough and repeat until the dough is all cut out.
4. Place close together on a cookie tray and brush the top with a little milk. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until risen and golden brown. Serve hot with whipped cream (or butter) and jam.
[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
Labels: Quick Breads
10 Comments:
still prefer the English scones with cinnamon cream.....
fooDcrazEE,
Haha, yes, English scones are still the best, but I also like a change of taste once in a while.
I like scones but never made them before. I into a baking craze at the moment and I thot of trying this out once I get the sour cream.
Audrey Cooks,
Haha, you've got to try making scones at home, having them hot from the oven is one of the best things in life!
SD, Ur right! I made them and they turned out great and I've got them on my blog. Take a peek! Thanks again for sharing. Cheers!
Hi Seadragon,
I'm not sure if you meant the buttermilk biscuit recipe by Renee. I have a copy of the recipe if you want. I couldn't find your email address on your website.
sharon,
It is so sweet of you to offer to send me the recipe. However I don't think that's the one, as I remembered she has a number of scone recipes. The one I mentioned had 'Mile-High' in the title.
Thanks again anyway :)
Seadragon,
No problem. Actually, I want to say a Big Thank you for sharing your recipes here with everyone. I tried your tiramisu recipe and its so delicious. Both my dh and I love it! Thanks. For the biscuit recipe, I didn't see any 'Mile-High' so probably I didn't save that one. But the buttermilk biscuit that I mentioned earlier was described as "standing tall and proud...". Anyway, if you still need it, just let me know. :)
Hi
just to check with u whether the flour in metric should be 300g or 500g, since you indicate that 1 standard cup is equal to 250g. Your recipe shows 300g ( 2 cups )??
kium,
Sorry for the late reply, have been busy with work lately and haven't checked in.
Hmm, you are confusing 'ml' (volume measure) and 'g' (weight measure). 1 metric cup = 250 ml (liquid). If you put flour (dry ingredient) in this cup and measure the weight, it comes to about 140-150g depending on if you compacted the flour into the cup or not. So 1 cup flour is about 140-150g. For convenient sake, we usually specify 150g (easier to remember), therefore measuring by volume is never accurate, it can only be approximate. So 2 cups flour is about 300g.
Post a Comment
<< Home