July 31, 2006

Gallery Jul06

I will reply to comments as soon as I've a bit of time on my hand.

Honey Castella Cake 蜂蜜蛋糕 Jul06
Japanese Honey Sponge Cake (a.k.a. Castella Cake) - The little tub of cake emulsifier 'Ovalett Special' which I bought almost a year ago still had about half left, so I used it to experiment with this cake for the ?th time. This time, I again adjusted the recipe I've been using slightly. Though it doesn't look perfect on the surface (after all I did not have the traditional wooden mould to bake it), I'm quite happy with the result in terms of its texture and the taste. BTW, the imprint on the crust of the cake was the result of my placing a piece of kitchen paper on it when I turned out the cake.

Honey Castella Cake 蜂蜜蛋糕 Jul06
Japanese Honey Sponge Cake (a.k.a. Castella Cake) - After trimming and it doesn't look too bad after all!

Ovalett Special
Ovalett Special - This is the cake emulsifier I used.

Black Forest Cake Jul06
Black Forest Cake - Supposed to be red chocolate curls piled on top of the frosting but had a disaster with making the curls, the chocolate siezed after adding a little of the red food colouring ending in getting only a pink hue - so blended the the chocolate in a last attempt to save the chocolate and sifted the pink chocolate powder over the cake instead. An unusual decorating, don't you think ;p

Black Forest Cake Jul06
Black Forest Cake

Taro Cream Cake 芋泥蛋糕 Jul06
Taro Cream Cake 芋泥蛋糕 - Sponge Cake filled with taro cream and frosted with whipped cream. Taro is known colloquially as 'yam' in M'sia/S'pore, so this cake is probaly better known as Yam Cream Cake/Yam Delight Cake/Yam Layer Cake in M'sia/S'pore, although yam is a misnomer for this root tuber because true yam (山藥, or dried yam 淮山) is a completely different root tuber.

Taro Cream Cake 芋泥蛋糕 Jul06
Taro Cream Cake 芋泥蛋糕 - Sponge Cake filled with taro cream and frosted with whipped cream.

Taro Cream Cake 芋泥蛋糕 Jul06
Taro Cream Cake 芋泥蛋糕 - Sponge Cake filled with taro cream and frosted with whipped cream.

Tofu Jelly in Ginger Syrup 豆腐花 Jul06
Tofu Jelly in Ginger Syrup 豆腐花 - A warming Chinese dessert for the winter.

Jelly Tofu
Jelly Tofu - Used bought Jelly Tofu to make the Tofu Fah.

22 Comments:

At July 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing and gorgeous! My absolute fave (drools)! How do you make the yam cake? And could you also post up a recipe for the orhnee please? Thanks.

 
At July 09, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

SD

Simple deco but gorgeous yam cake. Your layers are so even :)

Tau fu fa looks authentic too, any gypsum powder ("Shi Gao Fen")in this recipe?

 
At July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job...Both yam cake & 豆腐花 are my favourite!! I love yam a lot...
if you have time, please post the recipe folr the yam cake.. thanks..

 
At July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Seadragon,
Your yam cake looks so delicious! keeping my fingers cross waiting for the recipe.

 
At July 11, 2006, Blogger Edith said...

SD, your Yam cake reminded me of a popular bakery that does this. Through time, it lost its standard. :( Care to share this recipe please. Thanks

 
At July 11, 2006, Blogger Audrey Cooks said...

SD, very interesting icing for a sponge cake. Definitely beats the conventional sugar and cream icing, so unhealthy. How do u choose a good yam? I'm pretty lost at that.

 
At July 12, 2006, Blogger Flower said...

Your tau foo fah looks so delicious. It is easy to make?

 
At July 15, 2006, Blogger diddy said...

Hi Seadragon!
You have such a lovely blog! I'm eager to try some of your recipes, especially the fenglisu that you posted earlier! Could I link my blog to yours? I just started one and I'm eager to begin my asian culinary adventure!

 
At July 16, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Thanks, everyone :)
Recipe posted.

Ooops, forgot to mention the jelly tofu itself was bought from the Asian supermarket, the only thing I cooked for the tofu fah is the ginger syrup (basically ginger, rock sugar, pandan leaves and water) ;p

Audrey Cooks,
I'm not too sure how to choose a good yam as well. Luckily the Asian supermarket I frequent only carries the purple-specked varieties and they always have a few cut open for sale so I can see the inside. Otherwise I just buy the frozen ones :p

diddy,
You're welcome to link it.
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with your culinary adventure :)

 
At July 17, 2006, Blogger Edith said...

SD, your black forest cake looks sooooo pretty. I love it.

 
At July 17, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

SD, what a sweet color for your blackforest cake! Lovely!

 
At July 19, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Edith & Angie,
I would never have thought of blending the chocolate into powder if it hadn't been a failure in the first place, so it is not too bad after all, a new way of decorating for the future :)

 
At July 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seadragon,
Lovely and unusual black forest cake you have there. should call pink forest cake instead.

 
At July 24, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

WhItE_PoPlAr,
Ah-ha :) you did not read the explanation I gave under the picture. The pink chocolate is made from melted white chocolate mixed with a little red food colouring.

 
At July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seadragon
Which part of melbourne are you in? I'm in Balwyn North.

 
At August 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Seadragon,
I love you blog. Have to visit it everyday. May I know where can I get cake emulsifier (ovallet) here in the US. Thanks

 
At August 02, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Hi,
Not sure where you can buy ovalett in the US, as I'm in Australia. The brand I can buy here is the 'Koepoe-Koepoe' brand from Indonesia, the same brand that makes the pandan paste. So maybe if you can find the pandan paste, you might be able to find the ovalett as well, it comes in small tub of 80g each, there's two types available, the normal 'ovalett' and 'ovalett special'. I've posted a pic of it above.

 
At August 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Seadragon,

I'm a new housewife and a great fan of your site!!! I have been on a fruitless hunt for ovalett for the last 6 months or so! DO you know where I could get it in sydney? I would be so grateful if you could help me!!!!!

Thanks heaps!!!!! I love taro and really want to try the taro cake but I'm too chicken to try and bake the sponge cake! what degree of difficulty would you rate it as?

 
At August 06, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Hi,
Thanks for your support :)
I bought the ovalett from a Chinese supermarket chain here in Melbourne, KFL Supermarket (previously known as Tatsing). Don't know if they operate in Sydney or not?
However a lot of the Indonesian products are imported by 'Laguna' here in Melbourne. Is there a Laguna Supermarket in Sydney?
Another thing is to try shopping in Chinese supermarkets/grocery stores in suburbs with a lot of Asians, you will have more luck in finding more obscure products.
Pontiac Trading in NSW appears to import and distribute some of the pandan paste, maybe ring them to see if they import the ovalett as well - tell them it is a 'cake emulsifier' or 'pengembang kue' from Indonesia, the brand is 'Koepoe-Koepoe' - and if so where you can buy in Sydney. Their tel: (02) 9519 5255
If you really cannot find it in Sydney, let me know.

As for sponge cake, it is considered as slightly hard to make. The technique is more important when making sponge cake, eg. always use eggs at room temperature, knowing how to fold in the flour, how to tell when eggs are beten to ribbon stage. However you will never know if you never try making it yourself.
But of course you can always buy plain sponge from supermarket to make this cake if you wish.

 
At August 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Seadragon,

Its Anon (housewife from Sydney) again! Just wanted to thank you for responding to my questions! One thing I have discovered since I've started browsing all the sites for recipes is just how lovely and helpful everyone has been!!!!! It really helps a beginner like me to be able to ask questions and work out what I've done wrong in a recipe!!! Without sites like yours I dont think I would have been able to learn as quickly as I have and I would probably still be serving fried rice to my husband for dinner every night (hehehe that was all I could cook before I got married!!!)

Once again thanks heaps and heaps and I will no doubt come back to pester you and others with more questions sooner or later!!!!

 
At August 19, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

No worries, you're welcome to ask any questions, I will do my best to answer them if I know the answers :)

 
At August 22, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

WhItE_PoPlAr,
I will post the current version of that recipe soon, although I must stress that this recipe is still an on-going experiment for further improvement at the moment.

Thank you very mush also for your support and help here. Your suggestion of shoppuing info is a very good one, but I must find time to do a compilation of that. Maybe I will just start a post first and invite readers of this blog to contribute information then I can compile them and put a list up as a permanent entry here in my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home