Gallery Sept06
Strawberry-Stripe Yogurt Cake
Strawberry-Stripe Yogurt Cake
Strawberry-Stripe Yogurt Cake
Lapis Surabaya
Made using 'Pondan' brand Lapis Surabaya cake mix.
Rice Balls in Osmanthus-Flavoured Fermented Rice and Egg Syrup 桂花酒釀丸子
Made another batch but added a little red colouring to the rice balls, and also made them smaller this time.
Rice Balls in Osmanthus-Flavoured Fermented-Rice and Egg Syrup 桂花酒釀丸子
After making the Muah Chee a few days ago, it has whetted my appetite for more of this type of snacks in these suddenly back-to-winter days after the brief bust of warm weather last week. Can you believe it, I have never eaten Sweet Fermented Rice before in my life. However, I always see small tubs of the ready-made Sweet Fermented Rice for sale in the Asian supermarket. So decided to buy it and make this for a taste-see. Hmmm, delicious, sweet, fragrant and so warming on a cold night, a keeper for the future definitely.
Sweet Fermented Rice 甜酒釀
This is the small tub of ready-made Sweet Fermented Rice that I used to make the Rice Balls in Syrup above.
Osmanthus Syrup 糖桂花
Sesame Rice Balls (Muah Chee 麻糍)
Saw Gina's (of Kitchen Capers) Muah Chee using microwave recipe at myBuddies, so decided to make it as it looked so fast and easy. The rice balls took less than 10 minutes to make. Although I added some coconut milk powder and caster sugar to the batter and omitted the shallot oil. I used the same Sesame Peanut Powder as the one I used for my Peanut Pancakes. Yummy!
12 Comments:
Hi SD,
These muah chee looks so delish! Gina's recipe is so simple to make, yet I have yet to try it out *embarassed*
I made your chocolate kisses la oreo cookies a few days back. They were really delicious, especially with a cup of cold milk. But my cookies crack pretty badly at the edges when I flattened them, yours look so smooth all around.....
Thanks, Angie :)
Glad to hear you like the cookies. Just a thought, I think depending on the flour, you may need to add a tiny bit more butter to prevent cracking.
SD,
Why didn't I think of that? Mmm, will bear that in mind, but the dough does not feel dry at all, in fact I love the dough, soft but not sticky, very easy to roll into balls.
By the way, I always wonder if there's wine in 酒釀丸子, since there's 'jiu' in the name, now looking at it, there's only glutinous rice and yeast..
Angie,
From what I understood, 酒釀 is a type of rice wine made using glutinous rice. I found out from Wikipedia that it is also called 江米酒 (江米 = 糯米).
There is actually alcohol 'developing' from the fermentation and I can smell very faint smell of alcohol when I opened the container. Hmmm, I think I can get addicted to it if I'm not careful :p the rice balls served with it is so delicious!
Thanks for the info, SD. Never fail to learn something new from your cafe here :)
Hi, I was wondering can i just steam it since i don't have a microwave oven?
Cannes
Angie,
You're welcome :)
Cannes,
Yes, I think it should be fine if you steam it, although I haven't try it myself, but I would substitute 1/3 to 1/2 of the cold water to boiling water and mix it into the glutinous rice flour first then mix in the rest of the cold water. This is a preventative measure in case some of the flour might sink to the bottom as it takes longer to steam, using microwave does not have this problem.
SD,
Bull's eye on that cake! ;p
Wah seh...didn't visit your blog for so long (been real busy) and so many delicious food. Yummylicious!!! Keep up the good work!!!
Angie, jadepearl,
Thanks :)
Hello SD,
A new blogger, I am.
Have been reading your blog for quite some time but never tried any of your recipes a I am still a student residing abroad with no kitchen but whenever I miss home, I visit your blog and drool over some delicious delicacies and wonder when I would be able to do this.
Was wondering what is osmanthus syrup and in what sort of recipe do we use it for??
LittleNoodle,
Welcome :)
Osmanthus is a type of flower which has a subtle fragrance. It is the Chinese equivalent to the vanilla used in western cakes, or Jasmine flavour used by the Thai, or the pandan we use.
Osmanthus Syrup (ie. osmanthus flowers in sugar syrup, as shown in my pic above), or Osmanthus Sugar (osmanthus flowers mix with granulated sugar) are used exactly the same way as we use vanilla sugar. It is most commonly used to flavour sweet ricecakes, sweet snacks like mungbean cakes, or sweet soups in China. HTH.
Post a Comment
<< Home