Coffee Mousse Swiss Roll
It has been a while since I last made a Swiss roll. This is something new I’m trying out, a moussey filling – whipped cream with the addition of gelatine – for a silky smooth texture to complement the Swiss roll. I must say it tasted very good, I will definitely use this type of filling in the future for a change to the usual, plain whipped cream, for sponge cakes as well.

[Ingredients]
Sponge Sheet (for 30cm x 25cm x 2cm Swiss Roll pan):
3 egg yolks
30g caster sugar (A)
1/4 teaspoon coffee mocha paste, or adjust for colouring (optional)
40ml (2 tablespoons) canola or corn oil
40ml (2 tablespoons) water
30g plain flour
30g cornflour
1 tablespoon milk powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
50g caster sugar (B)
Coffee Mousse Filling:
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons hot water
1 x 10g-sachet (or 3 teaspoons) gelatine powder
1 tablespoon Kahlúa
300ml thickened (whipping) cream
50g (4 tablespoons) pure icing sugar, sifted
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
For the Sponge Sheet:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line (bottom only) a 30cm x 25cm Swiss roll pan. Sift together plain flour, cornflour, milk powder and baking powder, set aside.
2. Put egg yolks, caster sugar (A) and coffee mocha paste in a large mixing bowl and whisk to dissolve sugar. Add oil and water and whisk to combine well.
3. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar in another mixing bowl until foamy with tiny even small bubbles. Add caster sugar (B) gradually, spoonful by spoonful, whisking until soft peaks formed.
4. Sift the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking lightly to combine. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk batter lightly and gently. Repeat twice more with the rest of the meringue.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spread evenly. Tap the pan lightly on the bench a couple of times to get rid of any large air bubbles in the batter.
6. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes (do not overbake or it will tend to crack when rolling up), or until the surface feels dry.
7. Remove from oven and stand 5 minutes. Loosen sides of cake from the pan if necessary. Evenly sprinkle a little caster sugar over the surface of the cake, put a sheet of baking paper over the cake, then a cake rack over that. Turn over to release the cake from the pan. Remove the lining paper on the bottom of the cake. Turn the cake, right side up, back into its pan to cool until lukewarm.

For the Filling:
1. Place hot water in a glass measuring jug. Add coffee granules to dissolve then sprinkle with gelatine, stir until gelatine is dissolved. Add Kahlúa and mix well. If there are still lumpy bits, put the glass jug in the microwave and heat for about 30 seconds to completely dissolve the gelatine. Cool slightly.
2. Whip cream and icing sugar until firm peaks form. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the whipped cream and mix into the gelatine mixture to loosen it. Then pour the gelatine mixture into the whipped cream and mix quickly. (In hot weather you might want to chill this coffee mousse for about 15 minutes before using.)
For the Swiss Roll:
Put a sheet of baking paper on the bench, turn the cake onto the paper, crust side down. Trim off the crisp edges and make a couple of parallel shallow cuts along the near edge of the cake (the near side where you will start rolling), this is to assist in the rolling process. Spread the filling onto the cake, to within 2cm of the edges. Grasp the edge of the paper and roll up the cake using the paper as a guide (just like rolling sushi). Once the cake is rolled up, lightly tightened the paper so that the paper wraps around the cake. Leave for about 30 minutes until the rolled-up cake is stable. Remove the paper and put the cake in a covered container and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
[Ingredients]
Sponge Sheet (for 30cm x 25cm x 2cm Swiss Roll pan):
3 egg yolks
30g caster sugar (A)
1/4 teaspoon coffee mocha paste, or adjust for colouring (optional)
40ml (2 tablespoons) canola or corn oil
40ml (2 tablespoons) water
30g plain flour
30g cornflour
1 tablespoon milk powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
50g caster sugar (B)
Coffee Mousse Filling:
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons hot water
1 x 10g-sachet (or 3 teaspoons) gelatine powder
1 tablespoon Kahlúa
300ml thickened (whipping) cream
50g (4 tablespoons) pure icing sugar, sifted
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
For the Sponge Sheet:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line (bottom only) a 30cm x 25cm Swiss roll pan. Sift together plain flour, cornflour, milk powder and baking powder, set aside.
2. Put egg yolks, caster sugar (A) and coffee mocha paste in a large mixing bowl and whisk to dissolve sugar. Add oil and water and whisk to combine well.
3. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar in another mixing bowl until foamy with tiny even small bubbles. Add caster sugar (B) gradually, spoonful by spoonful, whisking until soft peaks formed.
4. Sift the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking lightly to combine. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk batter lightly and gently. Repeat twice more with the rest of the meringue.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spread evenly. Tap the pan lightly on the bench a couple of times to get rid of any large air bubbles in the batter.
6. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes (do not overbake or it will tend to crack when rolling up), or until the surface feels dry.
7. Remove from oven and stand 5 minutes. Loosen sides of cake from the pan if necessary. Evenly sprinkle a little caster sugar over the surface of the cake, put a sheet of baking paper over the cake, then a cake rack over that. Turn over to release the cake from the pan. Remove the lining paper on the bottom of the cake. Turn the cake, right side up, back into its pan to cool until lukewarm.
For the Filling:
1. Place hot water in a glass measuring jug. Add coffee granules to dissolve then sprinkle with gelatine, stir until gelatine is dissolved. Add Kahlúa and mix well. If there are still lumpy bits, put the glass jug in the microwave and heat for about 30 seconds to completely dissolve the gelatine. Cool slightly.
2. Whip cream and icing sugar until firm peaks form. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the whipped cream and mix into the gelatine mixture to loosen it. Then pour the gelatine mixture into the whipped cream and mix quickly. (In hot weather you might want to chill this coffee mousse for about 15 minutes before using.)
For the Swiss Roll:
Put a sheet of baking paper on the bench, turn the cake onto the paper, crust side down. Trim off the crisp edges and make a couple of parallel shallow cuts along the near edge of the cake (the near side where you will start rolling), this is to assist in the rolling process. Spread the filling onto the cake, to within 2cm of the edges. Grasp the edge of the paper and roll up the cake using the paper as a guide (just like rolling sushi). Once the cake is rolled up, lightly tightened the paper so that the paper wraps around the cake. Leave for about 30 minutes until the rolled-up cake is stable. Remove the paper and put the cake in a covered container and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
14 Comments:
Hi SD,
can I use non-dairy whipping cream?
Cheers,
Alice
Dear Cafe of the East,
I do not have a swiss roll pan. Can I use a bread pan? If so, how much batter should I pour in, about 1 inch?
Thanks!
Alice,
Uh, not too sure about that as I have never used non-dairy whipped cream before. You can try but may need to adjust the amount of gelatine depending on the texture of the non-dairy whipped cream. As I have heard that the non-dairy whipped cream is more 'stable' than dairy whipped cream?
Lee Ping,
What is the size of your bread pan? If you mean loaf tin, then it's not suitable. Try using a small baking/roasting tray instead.
Yeah, I meant loaf tin. I do have small baking tray, I will use that instead.
Thanks for your reply...:)
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dear Cafe of the East,
I made Swiss Roll using your recipe! The cake was tasty. However, I failed on the cream. My cream is lumpy after mixing with the gelatin. The whipping cream that I use is the ready made kind in a spray can. I wonder if that contributed to the failure.
Here's the link to the photo of the finished product.
http://leepingchongsphotogallery.blogspot.com/
Lee Ping,
Yes, I think that's the problem. You must whip the cream yourself. By the time the cream is whipped, it would have slightly 'warmed' up in room temperature, allowing the gelatine to combine properly. If you use ready-made whipped cream, it will be too cold, the gelatine would have solidified before properly mixed in. Besides I'm not sure what other additives have already been added in the ready-made whipped cream to keep it 'stable' in the can... that could interfere with the addition of gelatine...
Btw, your roll looks very good though :)
Dear Cafe of the East,
Thanks for your answer. I am so happy to finally learn how to make swiss roll. The cake taste great! I will try making the cream again. I am not giving up so soon. When I succeed, I will link to this post. p/s I already tag you on my blog. http://hipfood.wordpress.com
I am so glad to have found you. I found your blog thru Lily's blog.
Lee Ping,
You're welcome :) Good luck with your next try!
Dear Cafe of the East,
I would like to thank you for your easy to follow recipe. I have failed making sponge cake using many different baking books before. I just posted on my blog.
Personally, I still feel your swiss roll looks better than mine. So, I think there is still room for improvement for me, especially the cream mousse.
Thanks again,
Lee Ping
I will come back again in the near future to try out some other recipes that you have posted.
Lee Ping,
Don't mention it :) We are all here to learn from each other.
Actually I left my roll to cool too long for this one, and it cracked slightly while rolling up, I took the photo from the angle where you can't actually see the cracks clearly ;p
Hi, the recipe sound great, can't wait to try. Quick question before I start, I already know that caster sugar is a superfine sugar, but what is the difference between caster sugar (A) and caster sugar (B), both of which are in the recipe.
Thank you.
Hi again,
I think I just figured out the answer to my previous question about the caster sugar. Those are just 2 separate quantities of the same ingredient used in different parts of the recipe, is that right?
thank you,
Lana
Yes, that's right. Combine sugar (A) with the yolks, and beat sugar (B) with the egg whites.
Post a Comment
<< Home