September 02, 2007

Hotdog Buns 腸仔包 & Ham Buns 火腿蔥包

Savoury Buns 鹹餡湯種麵包

This will be my final post on bun making. Well, for the time being anyway. I thought I will finish with a few different ideas on the shaping of the buns with savoury filling using ham and hotdog.


Hotdog Buns

Hotdog Buns 腸仔包~五瓣梅花整形
Hotdog Buns – 5-petal flower shaping.

Hotdog Buns 腸仔包~五瓣梅花形
Hotdog Buns – 5-petal flower shape.

Hotdog Buns 腸仔包~螺旋形最後發酵前
Hotdog Buns – Spiral shaping, before final proving.

Hotdog Buns 腸仔包~螺旋形最後發酵後
Hotdog Buns – Spiral shaping, after final proving.

Hotdog Buns 腸仔包~螺旋形
Hotdog Buns – Spiral shape.


Ham Buns

Ham & Onion Buns 火腿蔥包~橄欖形火腿捲法
Ham & Onion Buns – Roll shaping, roll up with a piece of ham inside, then make a cut on top, see the next photo below.

Ham & Onion Buns 兩款火腿蔥包的整形~最後發酵前
Ham & Onion Buns – Roll shaping & 3-petal flower shaping, before final proving.

Ham & Onion Buns 兩款火腿蔥包的整形~最後發酵後
Ham & Onion Buns – Roll shaping & 3-petal flower shaping, after final proving.

Ham & Onion Buns 火腿蔥包~「品」字形
Ham & Onion Buns – 3-petal flower shape, same method as 5-petal flower shaping for the Hotdog Buns but make only 2 cuts.

Ham & Onion Buns 火腿蔥包~橄欖形
Ham & Onion Buns – Roll shape.

Ham & Onion Buns 火腿蔥包~內部組織
Ham & Onion Buns – Roll shape, inside texture.

Labels:

17 Comments:

At September 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SeaDragon,

Thank you for posting the pictures of bun shaping techniques. I am trying to find more information on shaping Asian style breads. Do you have any book recommendations? Also, where can one purchase "Japanese-Style Water-Roux Buns"?

TDL
USA

 
At September 07, 2007, Blogger QQ red apple said...

hi,
wow, you can makes good buns!!!!!! look so nice, it gives a big satisfaction before taste it. "Goed Gedaan"!!!! - great job.

 
At September 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi SD

Nice looking & fluffy savoury buns, I should try out your savoury water-roux bun recipe soon. You r such an angel in providing the step-by-step pictures of shaping the buns.

BTW, I tried out your W-R sweet buns (after my first attempt went awry!) & they r very soft even after the third day. This time, i make sure that i don't put too much hot water in the oven for the second rising.

Your generous sharing of recipes & shaping tips is most appreciated. I hv learnt so much & now it is time to practise.

Cheers.

Melbourne Gal

 
At September 10, 2007, Blogger SeaDragon said...

TDL,
Since you're in the US, unless you can find them in your Asian book stores in your city, I think the best way is to order the book on the net. There are 3 publishers for the water-roux book as far as I can gather, Taiwan (in traditional Chinese), Hong Kong (in traditional Chinese) and mainland China (in simplified Chinese), see the following links:
Taiwan:
http://www.cookbook.com.tw/product_info.php?info=p448_65---------------.html
Hong Kong:
http://www.wanlibk.com/cgi-bin/isbn_pages.asp?txtIsbn=9621428580
Mainland China:
http://www.sciencep.com/bookdetails.php?searchingbookid=14013

Two other books on making Asian breads that have been quite popular in the past couple of years are:

專業麵包製作 by 周健文, 馮詠楷 (Hong Kong)
http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=77723

簡易家庭麵包製作 by 游純雄, 王志雄 (Taiwan)
http://www.books.com.tw/exep/prod/booksfile.php?item=0010038897

I don't have any of the above books myself, I'm recommending them based on their popularity with the Chinese bloggers. HTH.


QQ red apple,
Thanks, they were fun to do as well.


Melbourne Gal,
It's my pleasure, very glad to hear you've success making the buns now :)

 
At September 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your hotdog buns looks so delicious and so beautiful ! I'm going to try out your bun recipe when I have time. :) They remind me of the buns I ate in Singapore :)

 
At September 12, 2007, Blogger QQ red apple said...

Hi,

Can I ask you something? Where can I store my ovallete, quick 75? should I store it in the fridge or in a cupboard? Where can I store it for the best?

Thanks for helping.

 
At September 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love the way they're looking, these buns seems so fluffy, the last picture is very nice ! I'm sure I'll try to prepare them ;) Have a nice day !
Cathy from Paris

 
At September 12, 2007, Blogger SeaDragon said...

The Cooking Ninja,
Thanks :)

QQ red apple,
Not too sure myself, but I just stored mine in cupboard, seems to be OK there...

Cat,
Thanks :)

 
At September 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SeaDragon,

Thanks for the list of Asian bread shaping books. I found one Chinese-English book on Japanese Bread at http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-c/section-books/pid-1004479802 .
(If the link does not work, go to www.global.yesasia.com and do a book search on japanese bread.) The bread book contains 40 recipes with 2 using the cooked dough method.
I also ordered the Japanese Cookies book from the same site.

TDL
USA

 
At September 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seadragon,

Here is the book product information:

Book Title:Japanese Bread
Author Name(s): Qiu Yong Ling
Format: 120 Pages
Language: Traditional Chinese
Publisher/ISBN: WAN LI JIGOU JINSHI TIANDI CHUBANSHE / 9621433061
Release Date:July 31, 2006
YesAsia Catalog No.:1004479802

TDL
USA

 
At September 16, 2007, Blogger SeaDragon said...

TDL,
Thanks for the info on the Japanese Bread book, this is one I haven't come across, it sounds like a really good book :)

 
At September 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi SD

This book is available at Yarra Plenty library. U can reserve it online & it is FOC!

I hv borrowed it before and most of the buns are made with condensed milk & there are some nice ideas on shaping the buns.

Cheers.

Melbourne Gal

 
At September 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sea Dragon,
Yours Hotdog Buns & Ham Buns looked really nice. May I know do you share your recipes? If you do, I would like to have it.

 
At September 20, 2007, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Melbourne Gal,
Thanks for that, will look out for the book if I do go near there :)

emilykyong,
The bun recipe is the Japanese-Style Bun Dough I posted. The shapings are as shown above. As for the green onion topping, just mix some chopped green onion with about 1 tablespoon canola/corn oil and some ground white pepper. After the buns have their final prove and ready to be baked, add some salt to the green onion mix (don't add the salt too early, or the green onion topping will become watery), then egg wash the buns and top with the green onion mix, and bake.

 
At August 18, 2011, Anonymous Joon said...

SeaDragon,

Thank you so much for the pictures. I have been looking for this for so long and i found out that the way i shape my bun is incorrect. Your picture is something that words can really describe they way it is...
I must say this again. Thank you..

 
At August 20, 2011, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Joon,
You're welcome. Glad the pictures helped.

 
At March 05, 2022, Blogger Unknown said...

Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa - Mapyro
Find parking costs, 아산 출장안마 opening hours and a 밀양 출장샵 parking map of Borgata 평택 출장샵 Hotel Casino and Spa 경상남도 출장마사지 521 Borgata Way, Atlantic 여주 출장안마 City, NJ 08401.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home