November 14, 2005

Banana Chiffon Cake

Banana Chiffon Cake
Got some over-ripe bananas at home, so made this Banana Chiffon Cake. As I also bought some walnut meal a few days earlier, I decided to add some in to see how it tasted. Well, it added a little bit of crunch to the cake.
Hmmm, I didn’t think the crunch suited the soft texture of the Banana Chiffon Cake at all! It is a different type of crunch to the poppy seeds inside the Orange Poppyseed Chiffon Cake I made earlier which I actually think added an extra dimension to the Orange Chiffon Cake and which I loved to eat. The ground walnut crunch however felt very ‘uneven’, which in contrast to the poppy seed crunch which felt more ‘uniform’, if you know what I mean! So I would omit the walnut meal from this cake next time, but then again if you like the crunch of ground walnut in chiffon cake, by all means add it in, it’s up to own taste really…
Banana Chiffon Cake

Makes one 25cm cake.

[Ingredients]
A – sift together 3 times, set aside:
120g plain flour
30g (3 tbsp) cornflour
30g (3 tbsp) walnut meal (optional)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
B:
7 egg yolks
75g caster sugar
200g mashed banana (about 2 bananas) mixed with
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon banana essence
2 tablespoons (about 20g) milk powder dissolved in
100ml water
125ml canola oil
C – meringue:
7 egg whites
90g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Banana Chiffon Cake Slices
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Sift ingredients (A) together 3 times, set aside.
2. Put egg yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl and whisk to dissolve sugar. Add the rest of ingredients (B) and whisk to combine well.
3. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar in another mixing bowl until soft peaks formed. Add sugar gradually, spoonful by spoonful, whisking until glossy but not quite stiff peaks stage.
4. Sift the flour mixture in 4-5 batches onto the banana mixture, whisking the flour mixture lightly into the batter after each addition. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the mango batter lightly and gently. Repeat twice more with the rest of the meringue.
5. Pour batter into an ungreased 25cm angel food cake tube pan. Run a knife in the batter around a few times, then tap the pan lightly on the bench a couple of times to rid any large air bubbles in the batter.
6. Bake for about 1 hour. Remove from oven and turn the tube pan upside down immediately and elevate the overturned pan on 3 glasses to cool. When completely cold, run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Take out the tube part of the pan, run the knife around the bottom of the cake to loosen it and turn out onto a cake platter.
Banana Chiffon Cake

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.

4 Comments:

At April 22, 2006, Blogger Cuisine Paradise said...

Hi there.. i am interest to try on this recipe.. but as u mention u can actuall omit the walnut meal. But if i take away 30g walnut meal must i replace it with anything else.. or just leave it as it is... Thanks...

 
At April 23, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Oh, this recipe is so long ago I can't remember much about it :p , as I put 'optional' there, you can just omit it, otherwise replace with almond meal (ground almond).

 
At June 16, 2008, Blogger Pwincess linfoong said...

Hi SD,

I tried it and again I must say, you're recipes are the best!! ^_^

I tried making chiffon cakes last summer and non of them worked, but I tried yours the first time and it jadi T___________T (tears of joy)

Just one problem. The centre sinked lar. Is there a reason for it ah? Is it because I turned the oven to lower bit only after baking for 45 minutes cause the top part was getting very black. My oven is the old fashion kind, so I don't think it has like fancy fan and all that. Is there a solution ah?

Linfoong :)

 
At June 19, 2008, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Linfoong,
So glad to hear you've success with my recipes :)

My oven is also the old fashioned kind. You said the centre sank, did you use round baking pan instead of angel-food tube pan? If so, the baking time may have to be increased to allow for the centre to be fully cooked. if the top of your cake is browning too quickly, try baking the cake on the lowest shelf next time and see, or cover the top with a piece of foil to prevent it browning about 3/4 way through baking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home