Strawberry-Stripe Yogurt Cake

I have to say I have never made any cakes using yogurt before. However there is a basic yogurt cake in one of my English cookbook (translated from a French cookbook) and with a few variations given. Apparently yogurt cake is a very common cake made by the French household.
The recipe is very simple, using the yogurt tub to measure all other ingredients. Basically it is 1 tub of yogurt, 2 tubs of sugar, 3 tubs of plain flour, 1 tub of cooking oil, 3 eggs and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. The problem is there is no mention of how much 1 tub of yogurt is in France! Finally I went and looked it up on the net and discovered that 1 tub of yogurt is 125mL in France. Now here down under, the smallest tub is usually 200mL, therefore if I use the bigger tub to measure the ingredients, it will throw the eggs used out of proportion with the tub-measured ingredients!
And me being me, I also hate to use only part of a tub, leaving the rest to probably just sits in the refrigerator until the use-by date and throw it out. Therefore I have adapted the recipe by increasing the yogurt and proportionally decreased the oil used. At the same time, I also want to experiment with doing the concentric rings effect, so killing two birds with one stone. The cake turned out quite nice I must say, and the ring effect was also good for a first attempt. Because I have reduce the amount of oil, the cake is quite crumbly in texture, like those of teacakes, but really nice to have with a cup of coffee or tea.

Adapted from the recipe 'Yogurt Cake' in 'Amandine’s Recipes: Cakes, Desserts and Puddings' (originally published as 'Les Recettes d’Amandine' in French), English edition published by Hachette Illustrated UK (Octopus Publishing Group), 2004, ISBN 1-84430-034-X.
[Ingredients]
200g natural yogurt
200g caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
150g plain flour
75g cornflour
2 teaspoons baking powder
60ml canola oil
¼ teaspoon strawberry paste
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper. Sift together plain flour, cornflour and baking powder.
2. Beat together egg yolks, half the sugar and yogurt until combined.
3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff meringue.
4. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into yogurt mixture to lighten the mixture. Then fold in the remaining meringue.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture in a few batches, sifting them in each time. Finally fold in the oil
6. Divide the batter into two equal portions. Add strawberry paste to one portion and mix in well.
7. Pour or spoon a little of the plain batter into the centre of the prepared tin. Then pour or spoon a little of the strawberry batter into the centre of the tin directly on top of the plain batter in the tin. The amount of batter being poured or spooned into the tin depends on how large or small the concentric rings you want to make, it can be from about 2 tablespoons to about 4 tablespoons at the start and gradually pour less and less as the tin is filled up. Continue to alternate the two batters until all the batters are used up.

8. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until cooked.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
The recipe is very simple, using the yogurt tub to measure all other ingredients. Basically it is 1 tub of yogurt, 2 tubs of sugar, 3 tubs of plain flour, 1 tub of cooking oil, 3 eggs and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. The problem is there is no mention of how much 1 tub of yogurt is in France! Finally I went and looked it up on the net and discovered that 1 tub of yogurt is 125mL in France. Now here down under, the smallest tub is usually 200mL, therefore if I use the bigger tub to measure the ingredients, it will throw the eggs used out of proportion with the tub-measured ingredients!
And me being me, I also hate to use only part of a tub, leaving the rest to probably just sits in the refrigerator until the use-by date and throw it out. Therefore I have adapted the recipe by increasing the yogurt and proportionally decreased the oil used. At the same time, I also want to experiment with doing the concentric rings effect, so killing two birds with one stone. The cake turned out quite nice I must say, and the ring effect was also good for a first attempt. Because I have reduce the amount of oil, the cake is quite crumbly in texture, like those of teacakes, but really nice to have with a cup of coffee or tea.

Adapted from the recipe 'Yogurt Cake' in 'Amandine’s Recipes: Cakes, Desserts and Puddings' (originally published as 'Les Recettes d’Amandine' in French), English edition published by Hachette Illustrated UK (Octopus Publishing Group), 2004, ISBN 1-84430-034-X.
[Ingredients]
200g natural yogurt
200g caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
150g plain flour
75g cornflour
2 teaspoons baking powder
60ml canola oil
¼ teaspoon strawberry paste
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper. Sift together plain flour, cornflour and baking powder.
2. Beat together egg yolks, half the sugar and yogurt until combined.
3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff meringue.
4. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into yogurt mixture to lighten the mixture. Then fold in the remaining meringue.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture in a few batches, sifting them in each time. Finally fold in the oil
6. Divide the batter into two equal portions. Add strawberry paste to one portion and mix in well.
7. Pour or spoon a little of the plain batter into the centre of the prepared tin. Then pour or spoon a little of the strawberry batter into the centre of the tin directly on top of the plain batter in the tin. The amount of batter being poured or spooned into the tin depends on how large or small the concentric rings you want to make, it can be from about 2 tablespoons to about 4 tablespoons at the start and gradually pour less and less as the tin is filled up. Continue to alternate the two batters until all the batters are used up.

8. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until cooked.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.

13 Comments:
Arh... SD, this is a butterless cake, something I didn't expect since it looks so moist and soft. Do you have to beat the yolks and suagr till pale and fluffy?
Angie,
I didn't store the cake properly and it dried up a bit by the second day, probably due to the little amount of oil used.
As for egg yolks and sugar, no need to beat til pale, just beat together with yogurt til incorporated.
Okay, got it. Thanks SD :)
sspaks,
The original recipe I based on is as I have specified above:
1 tub of yogurt, 2 tubs of sugar, 3 tubs of plain flour, 1 tub of cooking oil, 3 eggs and 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
So as 1 tub I found out is 125ml, it translates to:
125ml yogurt, 250ml (1 cup) sugar, 375ml (1 1/2 cups) plain flour, 125ml cooking oil, 3 eggs and 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
What I did basically was to increase yogurt to 200ml and reduce oil from 125ml to about 60ml.
Looks really unique. Would really like to try it out. You mentioned strawberry paste is that the same as pureed strawberries?
Hi,
Strawberry Paste is a type of essence in paste form, just like the pandan paste. I think I have post a picture of it in 'Ingredients by Pictures: Flavouring' post. If you can't get it, just use a little red food colouring instead.
Thanks for the help. Strawberry paste isnt available in the U.A.E. but strawberry essence is. Maybe i could combine red food colour with the strawberry essence and use it instead. Once again must say i think you have very creative recipes. Cant wait to try them out. Thanks for sharing.
Seadragon,
Tried out this cake when I managed to buy the strawberry paste. The texture of cake turns out to be dense. Could it be that I used homemade yoghurt?
delia,
I assumed you used my version? Dense as in compact? The cake should be quite 'crumbly' and not very moist (like teacake texture), I think maybe the egg whites deflated while folding in?
I can't see homemade yogurt would affect the texture unless it is more set/'dryer' than the store-bought?
Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe.I was finding ways to finish my yogurt before the expiry date.I have tried other recipe before but this was the best.My cake turned out really moist and light.Definitely a keeper for me.
Butler
Butler,
You're welcome :)
Just wondering what size eggs do you use in your recipes?
I used 60g-egg (weight includes shell).
Post a Comment
<< Home