Banana Cake & Farewell

It was exactly three years ago today that I started this blog. It has been fun and enjoyable sharing my ‘experiments’ with all you people out there, those who have actively supported me through the three years, and those who have done it silently, I thank you all.
After three years, I think it is time to say goodbye to my beloved ‘Café of the East’. In the three years since I started blogging, I have seen a plethora of cooking blogs appearing. I remember I have time to visit the few good cooking blogs three years ago easily most days, but now I find that I don’t have the time and also impossible to check on most blogs on the net today. As all you bloggers out there, you all know how time consuming it is to blog – taking photos, editing photos, uploading, research & write-ups, etc., then also time to answer questions as well. I think I need a rest from blogging after three years! I haven’t decided yet if I will continue to blog in the future (if I do, it will be on a brand new blog or I’ll post the recipes on my forum), however I will not been updating this blog anymore. Café of the East will however stay open so you can still access the recipes that I have posted so far, just no more new update.
As for my ‘Home Baking Club’ forum, I’m thinking of partially closing it down as well, as it has not been a success as I hope it would be. As a forum, most members have not been active in coming forward and sharing their cooking or baking experience. Only about 20 or so members have been active there, so I sincerely thank those few active members who have kept the forum going the past year or so. I really appreciate it.
So I bid you all farewell, and hope to see you soon somewhere on the net… and here I share with you one final time, one of my favourite cakes…
[Ingredients]
250g (1 cup) mashed over-ripe banana, from about 2 cavendish bananas
1 teaspoon lemon juice
150g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
200g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarb. of soda (baking soda)
2 tablespoons milk powder
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease the sides of a 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper.
2. Mash the bananas and lemon juice with a fork, set aside. Sift plain flour, baking powder, soda and milk powder together, set aside.
3. Cream butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
4. Add mashed banana and fold in. Add sifted flour mixture and fold in.
5. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
After three years, I think it is time to say goodbye to my beloved ‘Café of the East’. In the three years since I started blogging, I have seen a plethora of cooking blogs appearing. I remember I have time to visit the few good cooking blogs three years ago easily most days, but now I find that I don’t have the time and also impossible to check on most blogs on the net today. As all you bloggers out there, you all know how time consuming it is to blog – taking photos, editing photos, uploading, research & write-ups, etc., then also time to answer questions as well. I think I need a rest from blogging after three years! I haven’t decided yet if I will continue to blog in the future (if I do, it will be on a brand new blog or I’ll post the recipes on my forum), however I will not been updating this blog anymore. Café of the East will however stay open so you can still access the recipes that I have posted so far, just no more new update.
As for my ‘Home Baking Club’ forum, I’m thinking of partially closing it down as well, as it has not been a success as I hope it would be. As a forum, most members have not been active in coming forward and sharing their cooking or baking experience. Only about 20 or so members have been active there, so I sincerely thank those few active members who have kept the forum going the past year or so. I really appreciate it.
So I bid you all farewell, and hope to see you soon somewhere on the net… and here I share with you one final time, one of my favourite cakes…
[Ingredients]
250g (1 cup) mashed over-ripe banana, from about 2 cavendish bananas
1 teaspoon lemon juice
150g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
200g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarb. of soda (baking soda)
2 tablespoons milk powder
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease the sides of a 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper.
2. Mash the bananas and lemon juice with a fork, set aside. Sift plain flour, baking powder, soda and milk powder together, set aside.
3. Cream butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
4. Add mashed banana and fold in. Add sifted flour mixture and fold in.
5. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
Labels: Cakes and Cupcakes, Teatime Treats

42 Comments:
I am in WA, It's a bit sad to hear that you are leaving your blog. I love your blog and learn a lot of baking stuffs. Very detail and easy to learn. Wish you all the best and good luck.
sd
i can understand and respect your wish to bid farewell from blogging i am going to miss your postings alot
best wishes to you
Dear SD,
This is Jo from Jo's Deli. It's really sad to know about this but I truly understand your situation as I am also partially closing my forum and my website has been inactive for quite some time already. I guess my era of website and forum has ended. It's the blog era now. As you said, blog is time consuming to maintain, even more than a website is. I wish you all the best in whatever you are doing and hope to see you again on the internet. I too am not sure when I will have time enjoying sharing recipes on the internet. You take care ok.
Dear SeaDragon,
I can't thank you enough for your excellent recipes.
Yours will still remain one of my favourite blogs, because I come here a lot for inspiration and your recipes are very, very good.
I know I will continue to keep coming, so thanks a million for keeping it open.
Warmest wishes,
Caprice
just want to say thank you and I really enjoyed visiting your cafe in the past years. Take care and best wishes.
Dear SD,
I feel a little sad tht uve decided not to blog any more but do respect ur decision. Thks very much for generously sharing with us so many wonderful recipes the past few years. Have tried successfully many of ur recipes n will continue to visit ur blog whenever im in a recipe rut and in need of inspiration!
Warmest wishes,
Susanna, Perth
ahhh. this is so sad to hear! :(
Dear SD
I only started visiting your blog just a couple of months ago & there are alot of recipes that I've put into my 'to-do' list. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes & also keeping this blog available for all of us to access.
All the best to you.
I hope you change your mind, I am going to miss it alot. While I never really comment, i view your blog almost daily and use the recipes very often.
You are very generous to share all this with us, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.
Hi there.. i'm one of those who drop by ur blog everyday without leaving comments.. but i enjoy ur blog very much.. and thx for so generously sharing with us ur knowledge and recipes..
Hope u will change ur mind but understand and respect ur decision..
All the best
Cheers,
tweetybird
Very very sad to hear abt yr decision but nonetheless, wishing u all the best.
Hi SD
You have done a great job and really appreciate all the effort that you have put in your blog.
Thanks for keeping the blog open as there are great recipes with very clear and easy to follow instructions in your blog.
Wish you all the best!!
regards
Dear sd,
I'm one of the few silent readers you have. But occassionally, i do post some comments of thank yous and feedback.
Just want you to know that u have one of the best blogs i ever visited, from the very detailed recipe, to step by step photo demo not to mention, tips!
Of course, i am very saddened by your decision to not continue to blog anymore. But i can understand where you come from though. Wish you all the best sd. Your entries will be missed.
And thank you for keeping the blog open for bloggers like me who can still drop by for the awesome recipes. Appreciate that lotsss :D
Your sincerely,
^cherie
SD, you've done a very good job for yr blog and forum. i love all yr recipes and the step-by-step pics and recipes you've generously shared. I'll still come by yr blog whenever i'm unsure of something. it's a really great blog!
I wish you all the best and if in future u intend to start a new blog, do post here.
Take care, Ida.
SD
Your generosity is much applauded & appreciated. Sad to know that you're leaving your blog. Best of luck & if you ever wonder what you've done in this life, it wld be your generous gift to us, ie this blog.
Ling
Sydney
SD,
It's sad to hear you are leaving ur blog. There's a lot to learn from your blog. Anyway, wishing you all the very best.
Hi SD,
I always pop by to see your blog and love to see all your bakes. Will miss you and your post. Wish you all the best. Hope you would come back in near future.
Jennifer
Dear SD,
This news saddens me. I admit I am one of those culprit who doesn't read blogs/leave comments or participate in forums as much as I wanted to. I hope I have more time to do that.
going to miss your blog and hopefully meet you again in cyber world.
All the best.
banana cake,love it!
SD,
soooo sad to hear your farewell. I'll truly miss posts which are always filled so much helpful knowledge.
best of luck to you!
Cheers!
*TT
I have been silently following your blog occasionally for the past 1 year since i started baking and only recently i got myself a blog.
Thanks for all your postings and advices! I still have some recipes bookmarked from your site to be tried. All the best!
sd,so sad to hear that you're bidding us farewell :-(. Gonna miss all yr wonderful bakes! Thks so much for sharing so generously! All The Best To You! :-)
artchoo6
*shocked*
SD, thanks for being so generous by sharing with us your baking knowledge. I will definitely miss your posting and hope you will find the 'inspiration' again. Till then...all the best. Kirsten.
Thank you for all the lovely posts. They are such an inspiration.
Your recipes helped get me through my morning sickness as good malaysian food is very hard to come by in the UK. I wish you every happiness and that you will return to the scene one day.
SD, I am one of the silent readers and always pop in now and then to see your recipes. I have tried two recipes which I had always love. Thanks for remaining the blog for us to read and refer, really appreciate that.
Wish you all the best and let us know of any future upcomings.
Dear SeaDragon:
Sorry to hear that you are bidding farewell to blogging. I am a fan of food blogs and it will be a great loss to see you go. I can understand your situation and I wish you all the best. Thanks for taking the time to share your recipes. Appreciate all your efforts! Take care...
Dear SD,
I came by your blog to link to one of your dessert recipe, 鳳梨酥 Pineapple Cake.
When I read your latest post, I felt very sad that you are bidding farewell to us.
You have been very kind to share your knowledge and recipes with us.
I have tried your coffee swiss roll recipe and it is super delicious.
Take Care Sea Dragon, my blogger friend.
Lee Ping (Portland, USA)
Hi SD,
Your blog is one of the good ones as I learn so much from you. However, I do understand and respect your decision. Gonna miss your postings and your beautiful pixs.
Good luck and best wishes!
SD,
OMG. This is one of the best blogs which I stumbled on back in 2005. I am also one of the silent readers/culprits. It is so sad that 'all good things must come to an end'. I have tried several of your recipes and they are all GREAT!! They are much like those 'no fail' type of recipes.
Hi SD,
I would like to save some of your recipes like the banana cake and carrot cake for my own personal use. I tried to highlight and copy but it does not work. What am I doing wrong? Is it ok to copy some of your recipes for personal use like save a copy in my recipe folder? If so, anybody knows what I am doing wrong?
Thank you everyone for your kind words :)
Hi,
The copy-&-paste function has been disabled, so you can't drag and copy anymore. You can either re-type the recipes for your own safe-keeping, or just print out the webpage/recipe you want. Sorry about that...
Hi SD,
Happy & Fruitful New Year! ^^
tweetybird,
Happy New Year to you too, and everyone who still visit here :) Have a wonderful and peaceful year.
Hai Long, its EASY to start a forum..but maintaining it is not. I know. KC has been in existence since 07/2004. People come and go..that's a fact of life. even in the cyberworld. You have always been so passionate in cooking and baking and in sharing your knowledge in your blog/forum and also at my forum. Its sad to see you closed it. I have made cooking/baking my career, so running a forum seems easier. Hope to see you around at KC and hope to see you restart your blog again.
Hi Seadragon,
is it possible for you to activate the copy & paste function again for say a week? Will save me a lot of typing. I like soft copies versus hard copies. Just like saving species from being extinct, I feel the same about your recipes. They should never be lost!!
Hi,
I ready don't want to make any more changes to this blog. If you want soft copies, as I have said previously in one of the comments above, you can just save the particular webpages you want onto your computer for your own safe-keeping.
Hi there
Have just found your blog and it is yest another example of all the great food blogs that are out there! I just don't have time to read all the blogs I have saved at this stage! I started off blogging myself and have just set up www.ifoods.tv which is a place for foodies, bloggers and chefs to hand out and share their recipes, photos and food videos. Would love to see you there sharing some of your great photos! Keep up the great work on the blog, have bookmarked it so will be a regular reader!
Very sad to hear...i miss your posting...thanks for sharing banana cake recipe...sounds delicious...i was wondering which site offers the best ingredients...one of my friend introduced me to a great resource www.myethnicworld.com and i thought that i can pass great along as well.
Wow this banana cake look awesome!
It's a pity I dont like banana :D
I'm looking for to see something with strawberries!
Cheers!
- Dennis
witU Restaurant bookings
You have a nice blog! Hope to see your latest posts!
-------------------------
Women lose belly fat
Hope you will still continue posting.. This is my first time to stumble upon your blog and it's sad that it's closing.
Post a Comment
<< Home