Tiramisù Torte

A request came through last week for this recipe which I made as a trial last year just before Christmas. It was very yummy, and quite boozy, just wonderful for the festive season. However, if you don’t like it to be too alcoholic tasting, feel free to reduce the amount of coffee liqueur, or I think you may even be able to get away with substituting the liqueur with 1 teaspoon of brandy essence if you are serving it to children.
The other thing was that I had used only 250g mascarpone cheese for the filling, which is usually one tub here. The reason was that as a trial when I made it, I did not want to use two tubs of mascarpone cheese in case I made a mess of the cake and wasted the cheese since mascarpone cheese could be quite expensive. However if you want it to be more authentic in taste, use 500g mascarpone cheese and reduce the cream to about 100ml.

Adapted from the recipe 'Tiramisu Torte' in 'Wicked Sweet Indulgences' cookbook by The Australian Women's Weekly, published by ACP Publishing, 2002.
Makes one 22cm cake.
[Ingredients]
Sponge Cake:
4 eggs
140g caster sugar
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
1/3 cup (40g) cornflour
Coffee Syrup:
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules dissolved in
250ml boiling water
125ml Marsala, or coffee liqueur such as Tia Maria or Kahlua (reduce amount if you don’t want it to be too alcoholic in taste)
Mascarpone Filling and Frosting:
250g mascarpone cheese
300ml thickened (whipping) cream
1/3 cup (50g) icing sugar
2 tablespoons Coffee Syrup
Topping:
Cocoa powder for sprinkling on top
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
Sponge Cake:
Sift the three types of flour three times, set aside. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Gently fold in tripled-sifted flours. Pour into a greased 22cm cake tin. Bake in preheated 180°C oven for about 25-30 minutes.

Coffee Syrup:
Mix together, set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons for the filling.
Mascarpone Filling and Frosting:
Beat cream with sugar until soft peaks, stir in mascarpone cheese and reserved 2 tablespoons of the Coffee Syrup.

To finish:
Split cake into 3 even layers. Brush each layer with generous amount of Coffee Syrup. Layer with Mascarpone Filling, leaving enough for spreading outside of cake. Spread remaining Mascarpone Filling over and around side of cake. Sift cocoa powder over the cake. Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight before serving.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
The other thing was that I had used only 250g mascarpone cheese for the filling, which is usually one tub here. The reason was that as a trial when I made it, I did not want to use two tubs of mascarpone cheese in case I made a mess of the cake and wasted the cheese since mascarpone cheese could be quite expensive. However if you want it to be more authentic in taste, use 500g mascarpone cheese and reduce the cream to about 100ml.

Adapted from the recipe 'Tiramisu Torte' in 'Wicked Sweet Indulgences' cookbook by The Australian Women's Weekly, published by ACP Publishing, 2002.
Makes one 22cm cake.
[Ingredients]
Sponge Cake:
4 eggs
140g caster sugar
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
1/3 cup (40g) cornflour
Coffee Syrup:
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules dissolved in
250ml boiling water
125ml Marsala, or coffee liqueur such as Tia Maria or Kahlua (reduce amount if you don’t want it to be too alcoholic in taste)
Mascarpone Filling and Frosting:
250g mascarpone cheese
300ml thickened (whipping) cream
1/3 cup (50g) icing sugar
2 tablespoons Coffee Syrup
Topping:
Cocoa powder for sprinkling on top
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
Sponge Cake:
Sift the three types of flour three times, set aside. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Gently fold in tripled-sifted flours. Pour into a greased 22cm cake tin. Bake in preheated 180°C oven for about 25-30 minutes.

Coffee Syrup:
Mix together, set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons for the filling.
Mascarpone Filling and Frosting:
Beat cream with sugar until soft peaks, stir in mascarpone cheese and reserved 2 tablespoons of the Coffee Syrup.

To finish:
Split cake into 3 even layers. Brush each layer with generous amount of Coffee Syrup. Layer with Mascarpone Filling, leaving enough for spreading outside of cake. Spread remaining Mascarpone Filling over and around side of cake. Sift cocoa powder over the cake. Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight before serving.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.
Labels: Cakes and Cupcakes, Coffee Desserts

6 Comments:
Seadragon,
Thank you so much :). I am going to try this out this weekend for sure. Tiramisu torte is my very favouritest cake :)
Thanks again. Really appreciate it.
Oops, forgot to sign off in the last comment... *blush*
Tinkerbell
looks really hard to do but after seeing your step by step i am geared to try it out. thanks
Tinkerbell,
You're welcome. Please let me know how it turns out :)
rokh,
It's not really hard to make, just a bit time-cosuming :)
Hi Seadragon,
I went hunting for mascarpone cheese yesterday, hehehe, and after a looooong time picking through like 300 different types of cheeses in the supermarket cheese section, I still could not find it! Just as I was to give up, I spotted another cheese section (what a dumb arrangement!) elsewhere and sure enough there it was. There were two tubs. One was South Cape brand, the other was ... hmmm, can't remember now, but it was $4 and the other was $6 but cheapskate bought the cheaper one :)
I had loads of fun baking this cake this morning :) I bought a $5 icing set from Foodland and surprise, it was magic! I even did some lettering and the kids even drew a smiley face on the cake hehehe!
I tried to be too clever and tried to mix the flour in like the way I do with chiffon cakes, and ended up with VERY heavy batter hahaha.... very nearly threw away the sponge cake and start all over again, but then thought, aw, what the heck, it is only for home.
So I had a heavy-set sponge cake which was like half the height of yours and in only a 20cm pan as well :) Not only that, I made a boo boo taking it out of the oven too soon. I tested it with a skewer and it came out clean so I removed it from the oven, 2 mins later I realized the skewer was still wet and sticky, so in it went into the oven again!
Ok, so I ended up with not only a heavy sponge cake but a very crusty one as well cos it was double baked :)
But otherwise, it was absolutely heavenly. It tasted just like the cafe ones.
Am I going to bake this again? You can bet on it! Thanks again for the recipe :)
Tinkerbell
Hi Tinkerbell,
Seems like you have quite an adventure there making this Tiramisu Torte - Glad to hear you liked it after all that incidents of making it :)
Post a Comment
<< Home