March 17, 2006

Walnut Coffeecake

Walnut Coffeecake
This is a sour cream butter cake which is very yummy with the walnut sandwiched between the cake. My cake turned out a bit small because I used a 24 x 8.5cm fluted tube pan to bake it instead of the recommended 9 x 22cm loaf tin. I would recommend using 1.5 times or even doubling the cake batter next time if using the larger tube pan to bake the cake. The original recipe used coarsely chopped walnut, but since I have a bag of walnut meal in my refrigerator, I used that instead. Also the original recipe used double the amount of the walnut filling with the extra half sprinkled on top of the cake batter as well, but since I was baking it in a tube pan, I omitted the topping since the tube cake after turning out would sit upside down. So if you are baking it in a loaf tin, you may double the walnut filling if you prefer and sprinkle the extra half on top before baking.
Apart from using walnut as filling, I am sure others like pecan or peanut can be used instead for a different flavoured cake.
Walnut Coffeecake

Adapted from the recipe 'Walnut Coffee Cake' in 'Best Recipes from The Weekly' cookbook by The Australian Women’s Weekly, published by ACP Publishing, 2000 (reprinted edition).

[Ingredients]
Cake Batter:
125g salt-reduced butter
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg
150g sour cream
110g plain flour, sifted
25g self-raising flour, sifted (see Tip)
Filling:
60g walnut meal (ground walnut)
2 teaspoons caster sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and base-line a 9 x 22cm (base measure) loaf tin.
2. For the filling, mix all ingredients together.
3. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Beat in egg then stir in sour cream.
4. Fold in sifted flours.
5. Spread half of the cake batter into the prepared tin. Sprinkle the walnut filling evenly onto the cake batter. Then spread the remaining cake batter on top of the filling.
6. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until cooked. Stand for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

[Tip]
The 110g plain flour and 25 self-raising flour may be substituted with 135g plain flour and ½ teaspoon baking powder.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Seadragon,
just like to ask you whether we can substitute sour cream with yoghurt?

 
At September 10, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

delia,
I think it should be OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home