January 14, 2006

Honeycomb Cake

I am still struggling with my sick computer at the moment, after fixing one problem, it seems another problem always pops up again, grrrrrrr…
BTW still owe another meme article I promised to write up, will do that soon (probably after Chinese New Year) as I’ve just been too busy with work lately!
Honeycomb Cake
This is just an experimental version of the Honeycomb Cake I adapted from a recipe by prominent Malaysian food writer, Amy Beh. Not 100% yet since the cake separated into 2 layers, a fluffy sponge on top with the more traditional chewy texture of honeycomb cake at the bottom. I was not going to post this version, but since there’s a request for it, I will just post it for reference purposes. I added vinegar to further create the reaction with baking soda to make a more substantial honeycomb structure. If any of you do try and improve further on this version, I would appreciate it if you could let me know, yeah…

Adapted from the recipe 'Honeycomb Cake' by Amy Beh at The Star Online Kuali, Malaysia.

[Ingredients]
100g granulated sugar
200ml water
75g plain flour
75g cornflour
1 teaspoon baking soda
125g butter
200g sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
4 egg whites
50g caster sugar (could increase, not sweet enough for my taste)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/
[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
2. Mix together plain flour, cornflour and baking soda, then sift and set aside.
3. Caramelise granulated sugar until golden brown in colour. Remove away from heat and add water, be very careful as the sugar syrup will splatter! Put back onto stove and cook until all sugar crystals dissolve. Cool.
4. Cream butter until fluffy, then add condensed milk, beat to combine. Add egg yolks, beat again to combine. Beat in vanilla essence.
5. In another clean bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks formed. Gradually add caster sugar and beat until stiff. Beat in vinegar.
6. Fold flour mixture into butter mixture. Fold in cold sugar syrup. Fold in meringue.
7. Pour into prepared tin and leave to sit for 5 minutes before putting into the oven to bake. Bake for about 1 hour, or until cooked.

[Note]
1. Please note this recipe uses 1 standard cup of 250ml, 1 tablespoon of 20ml and 1 teaspoon of 5ml.
2. The size of egg used is about 60g (includes shell) unless otherwise stated.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At January 28, 2006, Blogger SkyJuice said...

I like honeycomb cake. This is similar to my mum's kek gula hangus.

 
At January 29, 2006, Blogger SeaDragon said...

Hi skyjuice7,
Welcome! Oh, is that what it is called in Malay? Didn't know that before :)

 
At July 25, 2022, Anonymous Office Movers Vacaville said...

This was a lovely bblog post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home